Has racing been completely shut down?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mohrperformance
Re: Has racing been completely shut down?

Post by mohrperformance »

F kin A Mike, I live 30 miles from NYC and have been traveling in and out of Queens Brooklyn and Bronx for work about twice a week since this started. I have little fear of corona v but I AM TERRIFIED of the consequences of politicians and pseudo doctors-scientists locking down the economy printing trillions, and telling us they can control a virus. Nature can not be controlled by man, quarantine the highest risk people and let us free. Hiding in a room is not the American way, death is a risk we accept for a free life. Why would anyone put their leg across a motorcycle race a car (not for money) scuba dive clime a rock face or jump out of a plane..... hiding from the virus is not going to make it go away, at some point we all will come in contact with it as hundreds of thousands perhaps millions already have.
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

Getting back to the original question: It appears that racing in this part of the Midwest will not resume until mid to late may( circle track, assuming the drag strip will follow suit). We did have one hot lap session before the shut down with a so-so attendance; in talking with racers most have made good use of the additional time to catch up on shop, trailer, hauler etc. work. I do think it will cause some to re-evaluate their commitment to the sport; like most regions in the U.S. the void between the purse and expenses widens every year. I'm 73, so I may not participate in anything that requires being in close proximity to other folks till next year; gives more time to work on my rifles anyway.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Tracks here are only open for private testing. I want to go back to work. I'll take my chances with the China Flu, and may have already had it at the beginning of the year. Flu symptoms, test negative. Wife was around me and never got it. The economy is going to take a bit to recover, and we MUST start producing necessities in this country again. Medicines and food a priority. Manufacturing next.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Joe-71 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:18 pm Some of the local hospitals here in San Antonio, have whole floors that are shut down, and nurses sent home due to no patients. The order to stop all surgery except emergency has left many in the medical fields without work. You don't hear that side of the problem. Rules made by simple minded politicians who are not knowledgeable is causing more problems than are being solved. I haven't heard of a single death from this virus among any of my family, friends, or friend's families, and that is a lot of people. Joe-71
I just looked. My county has 618 beds available and this was the advertised count before the virus.
Today we currently have 6 actually hospitalized.

Our Democratic governor from Chicago only sees Chicago Minor and the surrounding counties that make up Chicago Major.
West and south of there its under control from a few to zero.
I suspect the smaller the town the less the shutdown rules are being obeyed.

Like all such arbitrary rules there was no room for modification. Our largest hospital has a surgery dept in the main building.
They also just built a brand new surgical center 6 miles on the other side of town which is pretty much sitting empty now. See the possibilities?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Little Mouse wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:49 pm 36,992 deaths from corona out of over 330 million. 2017/2018 flue season over 79,000 deaths. 2018/2019 flue season longest lasting in last 10 years at 21 weeks, over 64,000 deaths. Would much rather be told by a doctor I have corona then stage 4 cancer or heart desease those figures are huge and we have no complete cure for cancer either.
My guess is that the actual death cases will be lower when the real numbers come out, it has already been shown that c19 deaths were actually due to something other than c19.

Most of the hysteria is political and media driven!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

mohrperformance wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:52 pm F kin A Mike, I live 30 miles from NYC and have been traveling in and out of Queens Brooklyn and Bronx for work about twice a week since this started. I have little fear of corona v but I AM TERRIFIED of the consequences of politicians and pseudo doctors-scientists locking down the economy printing trillions, and telling us they can control a virus. Nature can not be controlled by man, quarantine the highest risk people and let us free. Hiding in a room is not the American way, death is a risk we accept for a free life. Why would anyone put their leg across a motorcycle race a car (not for money) scuba dive clime a rock face or jump out of a plane..... hiding from the virus is not going to make it go away, at some point we all will come in contact with it as hundreds of thousands perhaps millions already have.
Well stated in my opinion.
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

CamKing wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:03 pm
Belgian1979 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:59 pm The main reason for the lockdowns is to not overload the hospitals so they have at least a chance to treat people.
Yes, and that's why we all stayed home for the last month.
Besides NYC, and a couple other hotspots, the US is far from overloading hospitals. My County is at 40% capacity. One medical group in my County, just laid off 21 doctors, and their staff, because no one is allowed to go see a doctor, for non-emergencies. Medical facilities and entire floors of many hospitals are empty.
It's time to let the low-risk Americans get back to work.
The Virus is bad, and will kill a lot of people, but the effects of Poverty kill about 250,000 people a year, in the US.
The effects of poverty aren't going to kill someone who just went from making 300k/year for the last 20 years to 'poverty' for a couple of months. People that die from the effects of poverty have lived there most of or all of their lives.

There's a huge difference. HUGE.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

jmarkaudio wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:57 pm Tracks here are only open for private testing. I want to go back to work. I'll take my chances with the China Flu, and may have already had it at the beginning of the year. Flu symptoms, test negative. Wife was around me and never got it. The economy is going to take a bit to recover, and we MUST start producing necessities in this country again. Medicines and food a priority. Manufacturing next.
Just because you've been sick doesn't mean you already had it. And people are dying because of attitudes like all of yours. I'd rather be alive and poor than dead. So I'll take "shelter in place" with a smile. Thanks.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:43 am
jmarkaudio wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:57 pm Tracks here are only open for private testing. I want to go back to work. I'll take my chances with the China Flu, and may have already had it at the beginning of the year. Flu symptoms, test negative. Wife was around me and never got it. The economy is going to take a bit to recover, and we MUST start producing necessities in this country again. Medicines and food a priority. Manufacturing next.
Just because you've been sick doesn't mean you already had it. And people are dying because of attitudes like all of yours. I'd rather be alive and poor than dead. So I'll take "shelter in place" with a smile. Thanks.
No it doesn't but I'll take my chances at work. And I can stand to go to the end of the year without work, but depleting my savings isn't what I want to do. And there are plenty of people that won't have money in the coming weeks to buy food. With prudent precautions, but we need to restart very soon.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
rapidride2
HotPass
HotPass

Post by rapidride2 »

Check out the chart that compares Corona deaths versus all types of deaths for each age group. This range is from Feb 1 to April 11th. Looks to be 2 to 3% of all deaths max and if your healthy and 45 and younger deaths are almost nil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

The biggest worry is if there is a second wave coming, Keep the lock downs in the biggest breakouts states and ease the restriction in the low case states.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

hoffman900 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:29 pm I know a few people who made a career in motorsports, that are now realizing they enjoy not traveling anymore and the schedule sucks. So they are looking to leave the sport and get a real M-F job when this is over. The one said, paraphrasing, "I'm giving up my life to support people in pursuing their dreams. I'm going to do me now".
Yup, that pretty much sums up why I quit being a crew chief years ago. I wanted my weekends back.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:29 am The effects of poverty aren't going to kill someone who just went from making 300k/year for the last 20 years to 'poverty' for a couple of months. People that die from the effects of poverty have lived there most of or all of their lives.
First off, only 4% of American Households make $300K or more, a year. The median household income in the US is $62k.
If those top 4% aren't going to fall into poverty, the people they layoff will. The companies they can no longer afford to invest in will close or downsize. The towns they can no longer afford to vacation in, will suffer. The caterer they can no longer afford to use, for the parties they can no longer afford to throw, will close. So, even though the top 4% of the population won't fall into poverty, they could easily throw 20% of the rest of the population into poverty.

It is foolish to think the effects will only last a few months. If the economy stays closed thru June, 20-040% of all restaurants and bars will close for good. The Travel and Hospitality industries will be hit even harder. We're looking at 25% unemployment. That will kill many more retain businesses. With all these closed businesses, there will be huge numbers of empty retail units, and when the owners can't rent them, the banks will foreclose on the properties. This will make the last housing crisis look like a minor blip. We're talking "Great Depression" type poverty, or worse. That will kill millions of Americans.

Bottom line, we are on the path to throw millions into poverty, for a virus that has not increased the US death count, by even one person.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:43 am And people are dying because of attitudes like all of yours.
Who ??
According to the CDC, US deaths for the last 4 weeks, are the lowest they've been in a decade. Compared to the same 4 weeks, from the last 6 years, deaths are down over 15,000.

Not only has there been no increase in US deaths during this outbreak, there's actually a large decrease.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

bob460 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:40 pm The biggest worry is if there is a second wave coming, Keep the lock downs in the biggest breakouts states and ease the restriction in the low case states.
Is this prognostication coming from the same experts that said 2 million Americans were going to die, or from the ones that said 240,000 Americans were going to die. Or maybe it was from the WHO experts that said the virus couldn't be transmitted by human contact. Maybe it's from the experts that said, recovering from the virus will make you immune. Maybe it was the experts that said recovering from the virus won't make you immune.
Maybe it was from the experts that said we need to stay locked down , until we get a vaccine. Maybe it was from the experts that pointed out, we still haven't been able to come up with a vaccine for the 2 previous coronaviruses(SARS & MERS).

There are a million scenarios we could worry about, but the only thing that is sure is, if the economy doesn't start back up soon, people will die.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449