Has racing been completely shut down?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Re: Has racing been completely shut down?

Post by David Redszus »

Looking at camshaft design. Harold Brookshire thought you open the valve aggressively and give it a soft landing. He is right in delaying IVO and this design helped him realize this. Very smart guy, but again, he was using intuition. Comp, through their Spintron experience has found this to be opposite of what you want to do. They turned some of those lobes backwards and they worked better. Comp's new "low shock" designs impart less energy in the front end and close the valve more aggressively (relative to the opening side). Their finding (and others can disagree, but they may not be able to share their evidence due to confidentiality agreements) is that if you don't excite the spring from the get go, you can control the valve train better through the rest of the lift curve.

Among the numerous cam lobe shapes I am currently examining (including several of those submitted by you), I have found both shapes represented. Which shape is appropriate is dependent upon the spring force (never spring pressure), valve train forces (and masses), spring mass, and of course, design rpm.

Whether to design a "soft landing" valve closure is greatly dependent on whether valve "jump" is present or not.

Designing a cam lobe, or selecting a complete cam design, makes little sense unless the characteristics of the valve follower and valve train are carefully considered.

Perhaps Mike will elaborate on this.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

David Redszus wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:28 pm
Looking at camshaft design. Harold Brookshire thought you open the valve aggressively and give it a soft landing. He is right in delaying IVO and this design helped him realize this. Very smart guy, but again, he was using intuition. Comp, through their Spintron experience has found this to be opposite of what you want to do. They turned some of those lobes backwards and they worked better. Comp's new "low shock" designs impart less energy in the front end and close the valve more aggressively (relative to the opening side). Their finding (and others can disagree, but they may not be able to share their evidence due to confidentiality agreements) is that if you don't excite the spring from the get go, you can control the valve train better through the rest of the lift curve.

Among the numerous cam lobe shapes I am currently examining (including several of those submitted by you), I have found both shapes represented. Which shape is appropriate is dependent upon the spring force (never spring pressure), valve train forces (and masses), spring mass, and of course, design rpm.

Whether to design a "soft landing" valve closure is greatly dependent on whether valve "jump" is present or not.

Designing a cam lobe, or selecting a complete cam design, makes little sense unless the characteristics of the valve follower and valve train are carefully considered.

Perhaps Mike will elaborate on this.
Keep in mind the ones I sent to you were for a SOHC rocker system. The one with the valve lift curved calculated was a roller conversion (where the pads were chopped off and a .75" wheel put in its place). I don't believe the lobe was designed with the entire rocker geometry in mind.
-Bob
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

As of today, several road racing tracks have announced opening dates; some being immediately.

How many entrants will show up and how social distancing will be handled should be interesting.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

If you missed this one, you missed something, not sure what. At least no firearms.

https://racingnews.co/2020/05/04/hank-t ... ay-videos/
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Tuner wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:10 pm If you missed this one, you missed something, not sure what. At least no firearms.

https://racingnews.co/2020/05/04/hank-t ... ay-videos/
Hey, yesterday there was an ad for the Diablo plopped in the middle of the article; don't bring a knife to a gunfight sort of message, I guess. :lol:

https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

David Redszus wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:01 pm How many entrants will show up and how social distancing will be handled should be interesting.
If the first few circle track races are any indicator, there will be no shortage of entrants. So far, we're seeing full fields.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

Bradenton has been doing private test sessions for about a month, and I think they are bracket racing this weekend. Immokalee has had a couple of test sessions, and will be racing tomorrow. I'll have my car out...
Bandimere Speedway just completed a test session and has a race tomorrow I believe....

These are the only tracks other than Alaska Raceway Park that I track though...I know others are opening up.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

It's good to see that opening our states has not been hindered by MSM following idiots... Providing enough fuel for racers has been a serious challenge but "the C" has been a joke for most.

BTW there are still 71 source references you smarter than everyone guys need to prove wrong... http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/2 ... 1-p021.pdf
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

GARY C wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:04 am It's good to see that opening our states has not been hindered by MSM following idiots... Providing enough fuel for racers has been a serious challenge but "the C" has been a joke for most.

BTW there are still 71 source references you smarter than everyone guys need to prove wrong... http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/2 ... 1-p021.pdf
False. Also, poor logic.

Some of those are good resources that the authors of your preferred paper cherry picked certain lines or misconstrued the outcomes to suit their agenda. There is a reason the authors are discredited outside their own bubbles.

Let’s be real, if you were seriously ill, you’re not going to be asking the doctor for an IV of Vitamin D.
Last edited by hoffman900 on Thu May 14, 2020 9:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
-Bob
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

Local track at Bonne Terre Missouri is open, did some testing last Friday night, good turnout. Weather was colder than normal, track temp was 65 degrees, new engine ran great, but car was getting loose down track. Going to try some 4 link changes, my torque numbers are 100ft. lbs more than the old engine.

Have a race scheduled in Eddyville Iowa May 29th and 30th, no spectators, event is going to be live streamed on bangshift, $10.00 for the race, help support the track if you like Nostalgia Funny Cars, Nostalgia Super Stock, Ozark Mountain Super Shifters, and Nostalgia Gasser Racing Association.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

rebelrouser wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:38 am Local track at Bonne Terre Missouri is open, did some testing last Friday night, good turnout. Weather was colder than normal, track temp was 65 degrees, new engine ran great, but car was getting loose down track. Going to try some 4 link changes, my torque numbers are 100ft. lbs more than the old engine.

Have a race scheduled in Eddyville Iowa May 29th and 30th, no spectators, event is going to be live streamed on bangshift, $10.00 for the race, help support the track if you like Nostalgia Funny Cars, Nostalgia Super Stock, Ozark Mountain Super Shifters, and Nostalgia Gasser Racing Association.
How 'bout the St Francois Fairgrounds track at Farmington ?
Same for small track at Doe Run near Farmington ?
Same for Schraders track at Pevely ?

I worked in Farmington some 15 yrs ago and took in lotsa circletrack there ... enjoyed my 3 month tour.
JDR Performance
Pro
Pro

Post by JDR Performance »

Good tracks. They're racing and getting cars from all over the country.