General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Has racing been completely shut down?

Post by David Redszus »

Just curious.

Have all racing venues been shut down or are some still functioning?

When are tracks in your area expect to re-open?

When will you return to competition after tracks re-open?

What are you doing with your race program while waiting?

Has the economic downturn affected your future racing plans?
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Has racing been completely shut down?

Post by hoffman900 »

David Redszus wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:19 pm Just curious.

Have all racing venues been shut down or are some still functioning?

When are tracks in your area expect to re-open?

When will you return to competition after tracks re-open?

What are you doing with your race program while waiting?

Has the economic downturn affected your future racing plans?
Most are closed until June. I know a few people who made a career in motorsports, that are now realizing they enjoy not traveling anymore and the schedule sucks. So they are looking to leave the sport and get a real M-F job when this is over. The one said, paraphrasing, "I'm giving up my life to support people in pursuing their dreams. I'm going to do me now".

Others I know are doing low cost maintenance work on their cars, but real R&D is on hold.

SCCA, even when they start, I think car counts are low due to people holding on to their money. Secondly, the volunteer corner workers are mostly grey and not exactly a model of fitness, so they will struggle even with them. Hell, most drag races and SCCA events I have been to, the people in the paddock aren't exactly beacons of fitness, and thus hopefully they recognize they are in the higher risk camp.
-Bob
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Discussing the performance aftermarket with friends in industry, I hear that sales are slow but better than expected, tech line call are very high.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

I don’t plan on going to any race racing or spectator until it’s safe to do so and still maybe wearing my mask.I just don’t get why people are in such hurry to be killed are cause someone else to be killed over some money.If the Economy recover from the depression it should recover from this.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

1972ho wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:13 pm I don’t plan on going to any race racing or spectator until it’s safe to do so and still maybe wearing my mask.I just don’t get why people are in such hurry to be killed are cause someone else to be killed over some money.If the Economy recover from the depression it should recover from this.
Because people are foolish and stubborn, take a look at the Political section here. I saw an older gentleman, no mask, and supplemental oxygen walking around the grocery store yesterday. Like, wow (and I'd say even say that in normal times).

There do seem to be lots of good stuff for sale on the used market, as people are cleaning and organizing their shop. So for those with money burning in their pocket, there are deals to be had for sure.
-Bob
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

I was told by someone in the industry that Bristol Speedway " laid off" 140 employees recently, certainly doesn't appear that they're expecting any action any time soon.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

1972ho wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:13 pm I don’t plan on going to any race racing or spectator until it’s safe to do so and still maybe wearing my mask.I just don’t get why people are in such hurry to be killed are cause someone else to be killed over some money.If the Economy recover from the depression it should recover from this.
I stand a higher chance of dying from a loose wheel coming over the pit wall, then from Covid-19.
The 25 million people that have lost their jobs, stand a much greater chance of dying from the effects of poverty, then from Covid-19.
We're close to 20% unemployment now, that's puts us right up there with the Great Depression(24%). Both of my parents lived through it. I really don't think we, as a country want to go back to the days of having to eat rabbits and squirrels to survive. I also wouldn't want lo look forward to WW-III to pull us out of the depression.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

WWIII, then it's really game over, no doubt.

I'm still not sure on what is more dangerous. My wife works at an IC unit here and she sees a lot of old people die, but also young people. The main reason for the lockdowns is to not overload the hospitals so they have at least a chance to treat people.

I still don't understand there is not some sort of test. They could make it obligatory to take the test every 2 weeks or so and then isolate everyone who tests positive. Then they can send the rest back to work.
The economy is suffering big time. The gov has stepped in here and funded firms to keep them afloat during the lockdown and a lot of people are on technical unemployement. That in itself is worrying as well as we will get the bill afterwards.
What I do know for sure is that this will hunt us for a long time to come no matter what the solution will be.

And all of that for a couple of Chinese that decided to eat bats. :evil:
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I was going to race this spring but then when the covid came around and the local track is down until Mayish I can wait. It will get hot after that and I am not a big fan of racing in the heat so I will just put the race car away and play around with my street cars. There's always something to build.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

The C doesn't scare me as much as doctors do, the medical industry kills hundreds of thousands of people a year but that doesn't seem to stop people from going there on a regular bases.

I haven't changed anything hear except for an extra pack of toilet paper but there is no racing going on so no fuel sales but my regular job in home building hasn't changed... #IAmEssential. :)

Food for thought if people are worried about catching something that may kill you "every year".
Though infections are just one measure of a hospital’s safety record, they’re an important one. Every year an estimated 648,000 people in the U.S. develop infections during a hospital stay, and about 75,000 die, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). That’s more than twice the number of people who die each year in car crashes. And many of those illnesses and deaths can be traced back to the use of antibiotics, the very drugs that are supposed to fight the infections. https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/hea ... /index.htm
I forgot this one.
Out of the 783,936 annual deaths from conventional medicine mistakes, approximately 106,000 of those are the result of prescription drug use [1]. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, two-hundred and ninety people in the United States are killed by prescription drugs every day [4]. https://www.collective-evolution.com/20 ... g-problem/
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Belgian1979 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:59 pm The main reason for the lockdowns is to not overload the hospitals so they have at least a chance to treat people.
Yes, and that's why we all stayed home for the last month.
Besides NYC, and a couple other hotspots, the US is far from overloading hospitals. My County is at 40% capacity. One medical group in my County, just laid off 21 doctors, and their staff, because no one is allowed to go see a doctor, for non-emergencies. Medical facilities and entire floors of many hospitals are empty.
It's time to let the low-risk Americans get back to work.
The Virus is bad, and will kill a lot of people, but the effects of Poverty kill about 250,000 people a year, in the US.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Some of the local hospitals here in San Antonio, have whole floors that are shut down, and nurses sent home due to no patients. The order to stop all surgery except emergency has left many in the medical fields without work. You don't hear that side of the problem. Rules made by simple minded politicians who are not knowledgeable is causing more problems than are being solved. I haven't heard of a single death from this virus among any of my family, friends, or friend's families, and that is a lot of people. Joe-71
Joe-71
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

In texas were now up to a population of 29.90 million. Just read we have 428 deaths from covoid with over 4500 recoveries from it. Folks have house payments, apartment rent, car payments you name it to pay is it worth losing everything they own over this nonsense of nothing but silly panick and lousy leaders we call government. Government takes in roughly 3.4 trillion a year in taxes but spends around 4.2 trillion a year. So they hand out 2.2 trillion in fake money they do not have. So if people dont work paying in taxes then what the government collapses under it's own debt.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

36,992 deaths from corona out of over 330 million. 2017/2018 flue season over 79,000 deaths. 2018/2019 flue season longest lasting in last 10 years at 21 weeks, over 64,000 deaths. Would much rather be told by a doctor I have corona then stage 4 cancer or heart desease those figures are huge and we have no complete cure for cancer either.