2 vs 3 circuit metering for an auto trans road course car?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bwh998

Re: 2 vs 3 circuit metering for an auto trans road course car?

Post by Bwh998 »

mt-engines wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:40 pm
Bwh998 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:52 pm
BradH wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:26 pm
My questions for the OP... how good of a carb tuner is he, and how much he was planning to spend for one?
1k to 1500 price range and I have a lot of experience tuning carbs... on old motorcycles. I don't know anything about these holley automotive carbs but I am willing to learn.
Call up BLP.
I prefer 4150 metering for street use.
I like 2 circuit on manual transmissions because when you are say in and out of the throttle or engine braking you have a cleaner deccel especially with 2 power valves..

I did a few drag week engines that we sent out with 1500-1700 CFM dominators that were 3 circuit. But they were also bigger engines making way more power. And we're really for competition. They cruised at an rpm for long periods of time, and idled. That's about it.. Never really in and out. Huge stall converter etc.

For your price range. You can get a good one built for you. And you can just tweak it a jet or airbleed size. PV open point etc
Found their website, I'll give them a call in the morning
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Bwh998 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:29 pm
Bwh998 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:52 pm

1k to 1500 price range and I have a lot of experience tuning carbs... on old motorcycles. I don't know anything about these holley automotive carbs but I am willing to learn.
Call up BLP.
I like 2 circuit on manual transmissions because when you are say in and out of the throttle or engine braking you have a cleaner deccel especially with 2 power valves..

I did a few drag week engines that we sent out with 1500-1700 CFM dominators that were 3 circuit. But they were also bigger engines making way more power. And we're really for competition. They cruised at an rpm for long periods of time, and idled. That's about it.. Never really in and out. Huge stall converter etc.

For your price range. You can get a good one built for you. And you can just tweak it a jet or airbleed size. PV open point etc
no problem.. i have a customer with an AED pro street dominator on his chevelle. its a Pump gas 496Bbc 10:1 with a 270@.050 .770 lift solid roller. He swapped his old one that he could never tune off(it would load up, be waay to fat in cruise or way to lean) and put the AED on it and it drove like it had fuel injection he loves it. And all the AEDs that i test on the dyno like the BLP carbs are usually spot on. within a jet change.
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

mt-engines wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:38 pm
Bwh998 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:29 pm

Call up BLP.

no problem.. i have a customer with an AED pro street dominator on his chevelle. its a Pump gas 496Bbc 10:1 with a 270@.050 .770 lift solid roller. He swapped his old one that he could never tune off(it would load up, be waay to fat in cruise or way to lean) and put the AED on it and it drove like it had fuel injection he loves it. And all the AEDs that i test on the dyno like the BLP carbs are usually spot on. within a jet change.
Nice. Thanks for the info man.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

I've built up to a 2.600 blade spread base carb with 2 circuits active, adding any intermediate fuel on the dyno only hurt it. Over 1500 HP... There are a few exceptions where having the third circuit may come into play. Methanol for one, because of the sheer volume of fuel required, even then it doesn't want much. Under carb throttle stops is another, when the carb size is bigger or the owner try to lower the stop RPM too much...

Stick with 2 circuit, if you have to buy a box carb the Gen 3 950 Dominator is close on calibration. Moving the idle feed and a little emulsion cleanup and they work fine. I build almost all my new stuff with billet, it does cost a little more up front but they are a much sturdier piece. You can also get billet float bowls, and the billet parts can all be anodized for corrosion protection.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

jmarkaudio wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:29 am I've built up to a 2.600 blade spread base carb with 2 circuits active, adding any intermediate fuel on the dyno only hurt it. Over 1500 HP... There are a few exceptions where having the third circuit may come into play. Methanol for one, because of the sheer volume of fuel required, even then it doesn't want much. Under carb throttle stops is another, when the carb size is bigger or the owner try to lower the stop RPM too much...

Stick with 2 circuit, if you have to buy a box carb the Gen 3 950 Dominator is close on calibration. Moving the idle feed and a little emulsion cleanup and they work fine. I build almost all my new stuff with billet, it does cost a little more up front but they are a much sturdier piece. You can also get billet float bowls, and the billet parts can all be anodized for corrosion protection.
Thanks, that's the one I was looking at.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Can you provide more details of the engine build? Thx - Brad
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Bwh998 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:52 pm ... I have a lot of experience tuning carbs... on old motorcycles.
As in Jikov and Amal old, or round-slide Mikuni old?
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

BradH wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:12 pm
Bwh998 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:52 pm ... I have a lot of experience tuning carbs... on old motorcycles.
As in Jikov and Amal old, or round-slide Mikuni old?
Schebler model G old.
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

BradH wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:10 pm Can you provide more details of the engine build? Thx - Brad
Ill provide what I know so far: either a Little M or SHP in the 400 to 440ci range, AFR 220 heads with shaft mount rockers, not sure on cam size yet but it will be a solid roller. Still undecided on intake choice too. I would like to see 700 hp at around 8k rpm.