2 vs 3 circuit metering for an auto trans road course car?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bwh998

2 vs 3 circuit metering for an auto trans road course car?

Post by Bwh998 »

Im about to place an order for a dominator and confused as to which would be best for my application. Its a 400ish ci small block, afr220 eliminators, looking for 700 hp @ 8k rpm. manual vb th400.

Im reading that the 3rd circuit is mostly for shift recovery in manual trans cars, is that true? Also seeing carbs listed as 1x4 and 2x4, what does that mean?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: 2 vs 3 circuit metering for an auto trans road course car?

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Bwh998 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:19 am Im about to place an order for a dominator and confused as to which would be best for my application. Its a 400ish ci small block, afr220 eliminators, looking for 700 hp @ 8k rpm. manual vb th400.

Im reading that the 3rd circuit is mostly for shift recovery in manual trans cars, is that true? Also seeing carbs listed as 1x4 and 2x4, what does that mean?
First, most road course vehicles are standard shift transmissions.
Second, I would have a knowledgeable builder construct one which is 2 circuit primary and 3 circuit secondary.

EDIT: In any kind of racing where it is required to use the brakes and turn corners ...
the deletion of weight is always more effective than the addition of horsepower.
Last edited by Walter R. Malik on Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:01 am
Bwh998 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:19 am Im about to place an order for a dominator and confused as to which would be best for my application. Its a 400ish ci small block, afr220 eliminators, looking for 700 hp @ 8k rpm. manual vb th400.

Second, I would have a knowledgeable builder construct one which is 2 circuit primary and 3 circuit secondary.
It’s likely a track day car and maybe he has handicap and can’t operate a clutch (just speculating, op. You can do what you want for whatever reason).
-Bob
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

hoffman900 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:05 am

It’s likely a track day car and maybe he has handicap and can’t operate a clutch (just speculating, op. You can do what you want for whatever reason).
It is almost funny you say that because, I actually raced a T400 automatic transmission GT1 road race car ... it took an awful lot of special stuff to be used in that trans to make it worthwhile.
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

hoffman900 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:05 am

Hahaha, spot on. It's a just for fun track day car, and my handicap is being too lazy to swap over to a manual from the th400 already set up in the car. I'm aware of the problems associated with autos on road courses, and I'm OK with that. I'm not racing for money.

I thought I was ready to buy a carb today, really in a hurry to as its the last thing keeping me from driving it, but then I realized I had no idea what I'm looking at. From some other posts I've seen here, something around 1000 cfm has been recommended to other's with similar engines?
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

EDIT: In any kind of racing where it is required to use the brakes and turn corners ...
the deletion of weight is always more effective than the addition of horsepower.
I've spent nearly the last decade adding lightness. Casting my own parts out of magnesium or a carbon fiber monocoque to go play racing really isn't in the budget at this time.

I know a custom built carb would be better trying, but I'm trying to order something that will be here within a couple days to have this thing going by the weekend.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Bwh998 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:19 am

I've spent nearly the last decade adding lightness. Casting my own parts out of magnesium or a carbon fiber monocoque to go play racing really isn't in the budget at this time.

I know a custom built carb would be better trying, but I'm trying to order something that will be here within a couple days to have this thing going by the weekend.
The Holley carb 0-80496-1 works well on almost any application. It is an earlier style 950HP with the smaller venturi.
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:39 am
Bwh998 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:19 am

The Holley carb 0-80496-1 works well on almost any application. It is an earlier style 950HP with the smaller venturi.
Kinda wanted to go annular.
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

Clean ,crisp part throttle response and drivability are very important for a road race car. Out of the box dominators aren't typically known for this. Is your intake manifold bolt pattern for a 4150 or 4500 series carb? Adapters are usually too tall.
Carlquist Competition Engines
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

BILL-C wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:58 pm Clean ,crisp part throttle response and drivability are very important for a road race car. Out of the box dominators aren't typically known for this. Is your intake manifold bolt pattern for a 4150 or 4500 series carb? Adapters are usually too tall.
Haven't purchased an intake yet so I'm not committed to either one at this point.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

2 circuit and dual Power valves is what I ran.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

BILL-C wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:58 pm Clean ,crisp part throttle response and drivability are very important for a road race car. Out of the box dominators aren't typically known for this. Is your intake manifold bolt pattern for a 4150 or 4500 series carb? Adapters are usually too tall.
My questions for the OP... how good of a carb tuner is he, and how much he was planning to spend for one?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

There ARE 3 circuit 4150 carbs in the marketplace.
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

BradH wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:26 pm
My questions for the OP... how good of a carb tuner is he, and how much he was planning to spend for one?
1k to 1500 price range and I have a lot of experience tuning carbs... on old motorcycles. I don't know anything about these holley automotive carbs but I am willing to learn.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Bwh998 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:52 pm
BradH wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:26 pm
1k to 1500 price range and I have a lot of experience tuning carbs... on old motorcycles. I don't know anything about these holley automotive carbs but I am willing to learn.
Call up BLP.
I prefer 4150 metering for street use.
I like 2 circuit on manual transmissions because when you are say in and out of the throttle or engine braking you have a cleaner deccel especially with 2 power valves..

I did a few drag week engines that we sent out with 1500-1700 CFM dominators that were 3 circuit. But they were also bigger engines making way more power. And we're really for competition. They cruised at an rpm for long periods of time, and idled. That's about it.. Never really in and out. Huge stall converter etc.

For your price range. You can get a good one built for you. And you can just tweak it a jet or airbleed size. PV open point etc