+.004" o.d. Chevy rod brgs?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

+.004" o.d. Chevy rod brgs?

Post by MotionMachine »

I knew I should have stayed away from this POS rebuilder motor. All the rods are 2.229", .004" over. I know Clevite makes +.002", anyone hear of a +.004"?
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Re: +.004" o.d. Chevy rod brgs?

Post by MotionMachine »

Never mind, I remembered I have a good set of PM rods I'll swap out these freaks with.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

I dont know what is worse, that or oversize valve stems :(
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
houser45
Pro
Pro

Post by houser45 »

I would say one journal or should I say half of one journal ground undersize on a crankshaft for the rod throws might be the best I’ve seen yet
dwilliams
Guru
Guru

Post by dwilliams »

Older Mopar V8s which might have one or more oversize lifter bores. Neither the dealer nor the local parts stores could get replacements. Probably no big thing after the internet.

Oversize valve stems on small block Chevys, usually small-valve truck heads. Easy to get and in stock everywhere, they were so common...

"Stock replacement" aftermarket timing sets with either advance or retard ground in, apparently for early emissions engines one way, and who knows for the other. And "stock replacement" cams that might be ground straight up, advanced, or retarded. I wound up degreeing every cam that I installed, even on stock replacement short blocks. Some were more than eight degrees off. Used a lot of those "obsolete" offset keys and bushings.

Timing marks. Lord love a duck. Even if the timing cover, pointer, or balancer were all apparently original equipment, they might say anything.