AFR Enforcer SBC heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PRH
Guru
Guru

Re: AFR Enforcer SBC heads

Post by PRH »

The AFR literature says they have ductile iron seats.

The ones I’ve seen that were not from AFR “looked” to have powdered metal seats.

If you buy the AFR prepped version,it appears they come with 8mm guides.

My guess is AFR is buying the castings without seats and guides installed, and doing theirs own thing.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
68maliblue

Post by 68maliblue »

In my opinion the ATK aluminum SBC heads seem like a better deal. Its a Pro-Filer casting so it should be USA made. At $535 ea seems budget friendly.
65dragster

Post by 65dragster »

ATK only offers 70cc chambers, not 64cc.
68maliblue

Post by 68maliblue »

dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

68maliblue wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:14 pm I see 64 cc for the 185 and 195 heads

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-sbc64185
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-sbc64195
i have a set of sbf enforcers coming!
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

I have a set of SBF Enforcers coming! we'll see
65dragster

Post by 65dragster »

Very cool. Tell us about your build. It would be great to get your thoughts in the heads once you get them in your hands.
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

its just a street motor replacing one that blew apart. first fuel injected 5.0 i ever did. cant dyno it, am not set up for electronics. will have to rely on chassis dyno to tune. everything is done except head install and measuring for push rods. customer decided to leave it fuel injected instead of carb. ill let you know what heads are like. was told 3 weeks 2 weeks ago.
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

talked to AFR. thet are sourced from china. they come with ductile seats and bronze guides. AFR does valve job, sizes guides and installs are parts. they do have 8 mm valves and Pac springs. They are behind because of the china virus. thats it until i get them.
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

AFR sbf heads came today. were supposed to have 54cc chambers. AFR said deck too thin to cut. I checked deck thickness at .265. seems thin to me. going to cut .032. Not too happy about deck thickness but it is street motor so I will see. Will flow when they are cut.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

I’m detecting that some of the warm fuzzy feeling has slipped away.

What were your first impressions after unboxing and disassembling?
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

never pulled a valve. fellow im doing motor for opened box read note that said couldnt cut because of thin decks. I think afr says they are .320 thick. customer took heads to be cut .030 flat deck. should be done next week. will advise as to quality and precision.
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

got heads back from .030 surfacing. pulled 2 springs checked out as advertised. just flowed 1 cylinder and it is close to AFR numbers. valve job looks good and seat to head fitment could use small amount of work. probably wouldnt do much. guide protrusion into port is small compared to others. Only problen i see is thin decks. .320 is thin to me. several water transfer holes were around .250. I put a solid lifter in bore to chech for pushrod length and it wouldnt come out with head on. i only had 2 bolts holding head so no big deal but who wants to pull heads to change lifters. you could hold up with clothes pins to change cam but it is a problem that AFR should address. If you do change cam you cant see rollers. I havent put heads on permanent bI IuI iIt willI check if i can do some grinding so lifters will come out with heads on. Im going to call AFR to see if they are aware of lifter removing problems. I dont think i would recommend these heads for anything but street use but thats what they are for so buyer beware.
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

I would not want them for my street use I hammer the engines in my car much harder than a 1/4 mile racer would.
And sometimes I am 1000+ miles away from home.

.250" deck does seem very thin for an aluminum casting.
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

just got off phone with AFR was told all 5.0 ford heads have to come off to change lifters. called friend of mine who does lots of fords. he says thats not true. i have done several but never changed lifters with heads on. comments please.