AFR Enforcer SBC heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

65dragster

AFR Enforcer SBC heads

Post by 65dragster »

Has anyone looked critically at the new budget AFR Enforcer series aluminum 195 cylinder heads for SBC. Are they just the Pro Comp casting machined and assembled by AFR? They sure don’t have the numbers (which you wouldn’t expect) like the Eliminator series. However, for under $1000 assembled, they seem to compete well with some of the others stuff out there. If you have information, please share.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: AFR Enforcer SBC heads

Post by mag2555 »

Well, they sure don't have the flow numbers I would like to see for a 195 CC runner head, but this was likely there intent!

Then again AFR heads typically rework/ port up very easy, so gaining 25 cfm of Intake flow should not be a big project!

One way to look at these heads for use on a 383 or bigger motor is that even though there flow numbers limit them to around 65 hp per cylinder when the motor is really built up in typical hot street form, that big port volume means that the peak Hp nunbers will not Nose over as fast as for instance a 185 CC head flowing those same numbers.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

mag2555 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:33 am...that big port volume means that the peak Hp nunbers will not Nose over as fast as for instance a 185 CC head flowing those same numbers.
Interesting observation. That's exactly what I'm finding (with simulations) on a planned 383 project using my 170 cc (as cast) but since modestly ported heads. Torque production is excellent and consequently the HP up to the point where the limitation of the heads is realized. Then it all falls off a cliff. Mind you with peak HP in around 5700, it all suits the rest of the vehicle platform.
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

It's the ProHeader casting, sold by a bunch of people on Ebay. you can find the fully machined bare castings for $175 each.
Assault, NKB, RPC, White Performance Machine, Power Products, Engine Pro,etc.

Chinese casting, copy of the Dart Pro-1 Platinum 200cc. Info on this casting was posted on several forums a couple years back....it's actually 198cc measured. You'll see it listed as 195, 198, 200, and 205cc but it's all the same head.

I believe SpeedMaster(ProComp) is now selling this same casting, along with several others they still stock
65dragster

Post by 65dragster »

Interesting. I wondered if it was the same basic casting as you described. So the question is whether with better QC and machining and better parts from AFR, are they worth running on a 450 HP 383? I’ve read so much about misaligned guides and rocker stud bosses. I am sure AFR can put a good valve job on them. I have AFR Eliminator heads on another build, but I am wondering if the new Enforcer is adequate for a 450 HP 383 with a HR cam?
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

65dragster wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:35 pm Interesting. I wondered if it was the same basic casting as you described. So the question is whether with better QC and machining and better parts from AFR, are they worth running on a 450 HP 383? I’ve read so much about misaligned guides and rocker stud bosses. I am sure AFR can put a good valve job on them. I have AFR Eliminator heads on another build, but I am wondering if the new Enforcer is adequate for a 450 HP 383 with a HR cam?
I would be surprised if AFR would put there name on them if the castings were junk.
Those heads flow the same as my dart 180alloys did as cast at 178cc.
They will work on your application but it is possible you would end up at around 205 cc by the time you size the throat and work the SSR since they flatten out at 0.500" lift, but you would need to measure the rest of the Port CSA to try and find out why the numbers are down plus redoing the valve job should be done in my opinion.
I looked at buying one for curiosity but one cylinder head posted to Australia was over $1250 AU no thanks.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I'd guess it's an Edelbrock casting since AFR works closely with Edelbrock on most of their castings.
Joe Facciano
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

JoePorting wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:42 pm I'd guess it's an Edelbrock casting since AFR works closely with Edelbrock on most of their castings.
NOPE.

Friend of mine just bought a custom cam from Chris Straub at Straub Technologies. Buddy is using a set of those $350/pair bare castings and while discussing his build with Straub, Chris mentioned that AFR was going to be using that same casting for their budget as-cast line.
65dragster

Post by 65dragster »

Seems like it might be more cost effective in the long run to spend the $ (budget = $1500-ish) on a set of Eliminator heads now or a set of Pro-Filer heads. I don’t have experience or a flow bench to improve the flow on these Enforcer heads. I want a head that accepts a solid roller in the .620 lift range on a 11:1 350 (3000 lb bracket drag motor) using a Strip Dominator will become a 383 in the future. Any opinions or thoughts?
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

I would agree with you on that.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

65dragster wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:08 pm Seems like it might be more cost effective in the long run to spend the $ (budget = $1500-ish) on a set of Eliminator heads now or a set of Pro-Filer heads. I don’t have experience or a flow bench to improve the flow on these Enforcer heads. I want a head that accepts a solid roller in the .620 lift range on a 11:1 350 (3000 lb bracket drag motor) using a Strip Dominator will become a 383 in the future. Any opinions or thoughts?
I agree, just my opinion but no matter what brand cylinder head you purchase they all are not optimal as far as valve seats being concentric, most back up in airflow at around 500" so I would talk to a reputable cylinder head guy on options.
Runner size dictates peak rpm power so the cylinder head size between a 350 and a 383 will be different, if you purchase a 180cc head for the 350 it can be ported for the 383 later on. For a 383 I would use a runner size of around 195-205 cc if you want peak power around 6500 rpm and gearshift of 7000-7500rpm
300-25 intake is a good choice as well
Good luck
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

I asked afr back in February where are the castings from. Afr replied a month later verbatim:
The Enforcer castings are source from overseas in China
65dragster

Post by 65dragster »

Definitely. I figured getting a set from Chad or Eric would be the way to go. It seems like you can’t hardly get a nice set of regular guy bracket drag race heads without spending $1500-$2000. I really appreciate this forum and I especially appreciate guys like Eric and Chad offering great information and excellent products. For the few dollars difference, I’ll gladly spend my money with them.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Has any one seen these heads offered as castings only.
reed
65dragster

Post by 65dragster »

See attached for bare casting.
FBE91237-1564-46D6-8D1D-52F1B532C120.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.