Aluminum cylinder head pics

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

My427stang
Expert
Expert

Aluminum cylinder head pics

Post by My427stang »

Looking for opinions on a set of FE aluminum cylinder heads. The pictures below are from a single head, was run in a sub 10 second drag car, 7500 rpm or so. One head looks perfect, the other, every chamber has approximately a .090 long, .015 deep chip. Doesn't seem to be a burn.

Is this the result of not enough material between the two seats? Rough installation? Detonation? Could it be run again or will it erode? I assume to fix you'd need to remove seats, weld and remachine.

Thoughts? Very nice pair of heads, manufacturer long since belly-up and not likely easy to replace one.

Thanks in advance

Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Re: Aluminum cylinder head pics

Post by Alaskaracer »

Should be able to repair it easily, then have a different set of seat inserts installed that are different outside diameter.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

My427stang wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:52 am Looking for opinions on a set of FE aluminum cylinder heads. The pictures below are from a single head, was run in a sub 10 second drag car, 7500 rpm or so. One head looks perfect, the other, every chamber has approximately a .090 long, .015 deep chip. Doesn't seem to be a burn.

Is this the result of not enough material between the two seats? Rough installation? Detonation? Could it be run again or will it erode? I assume to fix you'd need to remove seats, weld and remachine.

Thoughts? Very nice pair of heads, manufacturer long since belly-up and not likely easy to replace one.

Thanks in advance

That happens. A lot. Run it, because if you repair it, it won’t be long and it will look just like that.
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

That section is very thin. Even if repaired, will brake loose again. Round of the corners and run until new seats are needed?
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I'm with ClassAct.
IF the seats look fine, drive on.
I bet the original owner has no idea how long they have been that way.
If you try to fix it, it will happen again and you run the risk of creating other issues.
Deburr and blend it in perhaps?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

I see it all the time...... and quite a bit more material missing than that too.

Very common on certain spec heads run in Dirt.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

Thanks guys, I appreciate it, owner selling the heads said no issues. At what point would I worry about seat retention?
Plattsmouth, NE
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

You can run it, but first I would use some fine lapping compound to check if that side of both seats have sunk, which they do more so then not which would the required a touch up valve job in the least!

If the heads will not go back to sealing good with only a touch up valve job then I would take the heads to a shop that can install new interlocking seats, this work may not be cheap, but so is paying for going out to the track time after time and not cutting / running the numbers and going home bust!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

If the seats are magnetic, I'd do a MPI test, if not a dye penetrate test, for cracks.
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

My427stang wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:13 am Thanks guys, I appreciate it, owner selling the heads said no issues. At what point would I worry about seat retention?
The missing aluminum is a non issue. We have raced the crap out of Z304D heads on 347 Fords that were worse than what you have. Thousands of laps of circle track racing.
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

Thanks everyone, I ended up passing on the deal

I also bounced it off someone more experienced with that particular head than me, and he thought it likely was from cutting to fit all the seats, then pressing them in, that the final margin couldn't support the load of the seat install. Likely would have been better doing intakes first then exhausts separately or vice versa. He also said, likely there since new and no issue.

I don't have any doubt that they would have been fine, but given that I would have to stand behind the work and visual inspection wasn't pretty, that left me only to use them for my own build (and that guy doesn't pay well....)

I appreciate the help,
Plattsmouth, NE