Water injection

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Steve.k
Guru
Guru
Water injection

Post by Steve.k »

How many of you use water injection. Haven’t really read up or used it. Whats the idea of it and what gains to expect. I see these B/t heads made for it?
Steve.k
Guru
Guru
Re: Water injection

Post by Steve.k »

Thanks Paul. These heads have bungs for them so was curious. Read about it years back but never looked into it.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

B20Paul wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:25 am It's an octane booster, I played with an 80's Spearco unit, but it's an extra PITA you don't need.

Race only: Build the engine to suit the fuel.
Street/Strip: Build the engine to run on high octane pump gas and use a 2nd ignition curve when using low octane.
Good advice, but questionable factoid. Water is an octane booster?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

Not really a booster but a AF coolant to aid in detonation resistance.
It's common in truck and tractor pulling when 2 turbos, a primary feeding a secondary pushing 140psi of boost into a inline 6 cylinder diesel. I like watching them and have a couple friends compete but I don't know much about the specifics. I'm sure a pulling engine specific shop could answer some basic questions as most seems pretty chill. The others act like gods.
vht

Post by vht »

If I ever get a blower on my BBC 427, I'm planning on using water meth injection.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

vht wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:52 pm If I ever get a blower on my BBC 427, I'm planning on using water meth injection.
Me too, if I ever get it in the car and get it running. 12% over 6-71, 406 FE
Firechicken

Post by Firechicken »

I run a self built water injection system on my non intercooled twin turbo engine which allows me to use 12 psi boost on 91 octane. It will only take 8 psi and not detonate without the water and the same timing locked at 20 degrees and this is straight water, no meth.
Your results may vary...
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

Firechicken wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:17 am I run a self built water injection system on my non intercooled twin turbo engine which allows me to use 12 psi boost on 91 octane. It will only take 8 psi and not detonate without the water and the same timing locked at 20 degrees and this is straight water, no meth.
Your results may vary...
Are you using a pump, or is your system boost driven?
Firechicken

Post by Firechicken »

120psi pump to misting nozzles activated in 2 stages with Hobbs switches and water solenoids. Just a large windshield washer fluid tank with a low level indicator light mounted to the A pillar.

Pump and tank in the trunk.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

Firechicken wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:24 pm 120psi pump to misting nozzles activated in 2 stages with Hobbs switches. Just a large windshield washer fluid tank with a low level indicator light mounted to the A pillar.

Pump and tank in the trunk.
I am still torn between a boost powered system and a Hobbs triggered pump set-up. what pressure are your switches set at?
I was also thinking about using a Hobbs switch to close the pink wire on a MSD digital 6, to add a little retard at around 12 psi for extra insurance, with water injection coming in at 6, but it looks like most guys that use water/meth don't use any retard. I am looking at around 15 psi on Chevron 94, with an 8.2/1 mechanical compression ratio. Cam is fairly big for a blown street motor, 256/263 @.050
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I used a Snow variable flow rate unit on detonation prone N/A street engine...The engine detonated at full throttle when passing through the torque peak....It worked ok...I used about 50 percent alcohol...I never noticed any power increase but to be honest I didn't mess with jetting too much....
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Drei Kameraden wrote:But the man did one more thing. He could not resist revenge. He motioned for us to follow. He even waved particularly carelessly and confidently. "Otto!" Said Lenz warningly.

But he didn't have to say anything. Karl jumped at the same moment. The compressor whistled. And suddenly the waving hand disappeared in the window - because Karl followed the request; he came. He even came inexorably, he caught up with everything - and now, for the first time, we took notice of the strange car. We looked up at the man behind the wheel, questioning innocently; we wanted to know why he waved to us. But he looked convulsively to the other side, and Karl was only now pulling away with full throttle, staring at dirt, with waving fenders, a victorious dirtchip.
Perhaps "Karl" was also equipped with WEP to dominate the Autobahnen -- Remarque (1936) does not share this with us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_emergency_power
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Firechicken

Post by Firechicken »

falcongeorge wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:33 pm

I am still torn between a boost powered system and a Hobbs triggered pump set-up. what pressure are your switches set at?
I was also thinking about using a Hobbs switch to close the pink wire on a MSD digital 6, to add a little retard at around 12 psi for extra insurance, with water injection coming in at 6, but it looks like most guys that use water/meth don't use any retard. I am looking at around 15 psi on Chevron 94, with an 8.2/1 mechanical compression ratio. Cam is fairly big for a blown street motor, 256/263 @.050

I spray water after the turbos so it needs more than boost pressure to push it. With a pump you can get the water to mist nicely.
1st stage hits at 6psi with 300cc/min.
2nd stage at 10psi with a 500cc/min nozzle.

8.2:1 462 ci
Cam is HR 224/224 114ls installed at 114.
Small turbos needed help as they spool really fast and I don't use any type of timing control.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

Firechicken wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:19 pm
falcongeorge wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:33 pm

I spray water after the turbos so it needs more than boost pressure to push it. With a pump you can get the water to mist nicely.
1st stage hits at 6psi with 300cc/min.
2nd stage at 10psi with a 500cc/min nozzle.

8.2:1 462 ci
Cam is HR 224/224 114ls installed at 114.
Small turbos needed help as they spool really fast and I don't use any type of timing control.
I am using a roots so I will be spraying it above the carbs, the boost driven system is tempting, as theoretically at least, the flow should rise more or less lineally with manifold pressure?? I was going to use these nozzles, as they are supposed to atomize relatively well at lower pressures. Its mostly the import guys that seem to have a reasonable knowledge base in this area, But most of them aren't running 6-71's on Ford FE's. Go figure.... :lol: .
https://www.ispray.com/ecatalog/flat-sp ... VVA-730116
Firechicken

Post by Firechicken »

Boost pressurized systems can work well and have been used successfully. They can be extremely simple and trouble free once you have flow rates sorted out and a safe guard in place to stop any chance of siphoning or vacuum induced flow.

There is some good information on this in an old school book called Turbochargers by Hugh MacInnes that could help you if needed.