Oval track headers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bigfoot
Oval track headers

Post by bigfoot »

We run a sb ford with 390 HP with a 2 barrel carb..we run the schoenfeld header the runs up by the valve car but it has a very tight bend on the drivers side of the motor...we found this other header that has a much smoother flow ..how much HP do you think the.motor will.pick up ?? We have to.modify the foot box for clearance.. thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Oval track headers

Post by MadBill »

I'd be less worried by the tight bend than by the fact that most/all the bends appear* to have been done with a muffler shop ram instead of a mandrel bender, which causes a major area reduction just where you least need it. (*may be an optical illusion)
On the other hand 2bbl. engines don't have as much exhaust volume as 4 bbls. and this video shows that a header can be pretty beat up before it starts to choke the engine:

Bottom line, I'd be surprised if the shiny headers picked up enough power to notice on the track. (<10 hp)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

The only headers I have seen that will provide a noticeable difference on the "butt dyno" are Speedwerx or Beyea. Both high dollar deals.

Schoenfeld seems to be the default header for most guys... price vs. benefit.

YMMV.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

The black header has been on the car for 5 years now..the car bounced off the wall a few times so l guess this is why the pipes went egg shape at the tight bend...so yes it is restricted there like you said....l feel the silver header would flow better where it transitions into the X pipe too.