General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

af2
Guru
Guru

Re: Flat tappet vs roller

Post by af2 »

steve cowan wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:34 pm
David Redszus wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:34 pm I would suggest that if one has to worry about break-in oil to help seat rings, they should go back and
properly hone the cylinder walls.
Are you saying you can use any engine oil if you have the correct hone job for the ring pack?
Can you expand on your explanation please
I think what David said and also I say is the rings better be seated off the starter or you have problems.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

af2 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:10 pm
David Redszus wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:34 pm I would suggest that if one has to worry about break-in oil to help seat rings, they should go back and
properly hone the cylinder walls.
Are you saying you can use any engine oil if you have the correct hone job for the ring pack?
I think what David said and also I say is the rings better be seated off the starter or you have problems.
Adam,
I am moving my comments over to engine breakin thread as to not wreck this discussion on cams
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

steve cowan wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:14 pm
af2 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:10 pm
Adam,
I am moving my comments over to engine breakin thread as to not wreck this discussion on cams
I saw that one also! Good info.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

donsboy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:39 pm
Mark O'Neal wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:06 pm First...why would you pay 800.00 got Ford link bar roller lifters. I sell American made lifters for 550.00 retain all day long.

Second...why does a motor with link bar lifters need a retrofit roller?
I did a quick google search for lifters and thats the price I found. Havent researched them properly I guess. I was under the impression you need a reduced base circle cam. Am I wrong or can I use any roller cam with a link bar lifter?
You only use the "retrofit Rollers" when you're using the stock Ford spider to hold the lifters in place. No one does that anymore, but it used to be quite common. If you're looking at a, I guess you could call them higher end....but let's go with more expensive, lifter, you could spend 800. But a set of 550.00 lifters will be more than fine....and they're quieter than the Morels.

Use a standard base circle with the link bar rollers.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Mark O'Neal wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:44 pm You only use the "retrofit Rollers" when you're using the stock Ford spider to hold the lifters in place.
A "retrofit" lifter is a link bar style lifter used in an engine not originally equipped with a roller cam(no provisions for lifter retainer) to do a "retrofit....whether that be sbc or sbf etc. If the block is new enough to have provisions for lifter retainers etc...a non-retrofit style lifter could be used, with factory "spider etc" . but not necessarily required....a retrofit lifter could be used in this case as well. Im thinking that's what you meant, but said it incorrectly
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

There are no "retrofit lifters" a retrofit roller was (is) a reduced base circle can that allowed you to use a standard Ford roller lifter in a non roller block, using the stock spider and dogbones.

A link bar roller lifter can be used in either block, without the spider and dogbones. They look like this....in the previously mention quiet 550.00 version.

Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Mark O'Neal wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:58 pm There are no "retrofit lifters" a retrofit roller was (is) a reduced base circle can that allowed you to use a standard Ford roller lifter in a non roller block, using the stock spider and dogbones.

A link bar roller lifter can be used in either block, without the spider and dogbones. They look like this....in the previously mentioned quiet 550.00 version.

Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Mark O'Neal wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:58 pm There are no "retrofit lifters" a retrofit roller was (is) a reduced base circle cam that allowed you to use a standard Ford roller lifter in a non roller block, using the stock spider and dogbones.

A link bar roller lifter can be used in either block, without the spider and dogbones. They look like this....in the previously mention quiet 550.00 version.

Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

No idea what I did there.

Incidentally, I'm am referring to the subject at hand.....SB Ford.

You Chevy guys do what you do and call things whatever you call them. Almost none of you ever call me anyhow.... :P :P :P