KB Claimer pistons

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: KB Claimer pistons

Post by midnightbluS10 »

piston guy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:25 pm Common theme here . All the failures were as Mark and I have both said. owner tuner abuse/lack of respect. WHY do people who "cheap out" in the begining ALWAYS seem to have the money to REPAIR instead of SPEND ONCE in the begining? How is that saving?????
Well that's an easy one. It's called a budget. For people that don't make buttloads of money, it's easier to spread purchases out than make 1 big one.

It's more financially feasible for them to put out a little now for an decent engine and a little later if it has issues. That also means they get to race instead of sitting in the stands saving money for 2 more months, or whatever the length of time may be.

It's not about saving for some people. It's about buying what you can afford.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 pm
piston guy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:25 pm Common theme here . All the failures were as Mark and I have both said. owner tuner abuse/lack of respect. WHY do people who "cheap out" in the begining ALWAYS seem to have the money to REPAIR instead of SPEND ONCE in the begining? How is that saving?????
Well that's an easy one. It's called a budget. For people that don't make buttloads of money, it's easier to spread purchases out than make 1 big one.

It's more financially feasible for them to put out a little now for an decent engine and a little later if it has issues. That also means they get to race instead of sitting in the stands saving money for 2 more months, or whatever the length of time may be.

Better yet, just get your sponsors to pay for it. Problem solved!
DON'T PANIC
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 pm

I am FAR from having "buttloads" of money and I had FAR less when I started racing 52 years ago. My drag racing addiction has led to many "hacks" just to make a race. Many times I took another racer's "trash" and used it because it was better than what I had. I got to a point where "me" being cheap "could cost me my life" by my ignoring the failure potential of the "cheap" stuff I bought and used. When I bought better parts , I spent less money in the long run and did a LOT less R&R work because the parts didn't fail.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

piston guy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:01 pm
midnightbluS10 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 pm Well that's an easy one. It's called a budget. For people that don't make buttloads of money, it's easier to spread purchases out than make 1 big one.

I am FAR from having "buttloads" of money and I had FAR less when I started racing 52 years ago. My drag racing addiction has led to many "hacks" just to make a race. Many times I took another racer's "trash" and used it because it was better than what I had. I got to a point where "me" being cheap "could cost me my life" by my ignoring the failure potential of the "cheap" stuff I bought and used. When I bought better parts , I spent less money in the long run and did a LOT less R&R work because the parts didn't fail.
I buy second hand (often not even USED, just been sitting on the shelf in the box for thirty years) pre-India forged TRW's for less than new hypers ALL the time. In fact, I have FOUR sets here, either waiting to go in motors, or IN motors I have recently finished. The most expensive set was a pair of dishtop 428 pistons I am using in a blown 406 FE, they were $250 CDN. I also have a set of + 060 283 pop-ups I paid $150 CDN for in my 283, a set of L2165 +030's in my 327 that I bought for $150 that have never even been run, and a set I am putting in my Cleveland that I bought on polished rods with arp bolts for $100. Sorry, but I would WAY rather run those than hypers, regardless of whatever hype was in Car Crap before they went tits-up.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

I'm with George on this one. When we had a claimer engine deal going on in the lower divisions, we saved money by using the cheapest rebuilder pistons that we could find. Usually something like silv-o-lites or some oddball set like badger. In any case, trying to keep the piston and ring cost below $6 each. There would be no way in hell that I'd spend $200 for a set of pistons on a claimer engine. Shop around, you could probably find some forged pistons for cheap if you don't need to build it right away.