SBC Oil pump rod falling out

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

65dragster

SBC Oil pump rod falling out

Post by 65dragster »

SBC using Melling M55 pump and steel pump to distributor intermediate shaft with steel collar. What’s the best way to keep the intermediate shaft from falling out while working on short block on stand and turning it over. Top end, including distributor is not yet installed. Can I use a high temp silicone sealer to keep the intermediate shaft in place? There must be something simple that I am missing. Help!
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC Oil pump rod falling out

Post by ProPower engines »

65dragster wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:19 pm SBC using Melling M55 pump and steel pump to distributor intermediate shaft with steel collar. What’s the best way to keep the intermediate shaft from falling out while working on short block on stand and turning it over. Top end, including distributor is not yet installed. Can I use a high temp silicone sealer to keep the intermediate shaft in place? There must be something simple that I am missing. Help!
Replace the pump drive with the correct part..
I have never seen the pump drive fall out unless the collar come off the hole in the block is just too small diameter for it to drop out of the block. [-X [-X
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

65dragster wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:19 pm SBC using Melling M55 pump and steel pump to distributor intermediate shaft with steel collar. What’s the best way to keep the intermediate shaft from falling out while working on short block on stand and turning it over. Top end, including distributor is not yet installed. Can I use a high temp silicone sealer to keep the intermediate shaft in place? There must be something simple that I am missing. Help!
I interpreted the post differently.

Either bolt the oil pump on, or put the intermediate shaft in with the oil pump until its time to install it. The shaft won't fall out through the main cap.

Silicone is to be used sparingly to SEAL, never as a retention medium. :mrgreen:
65dragster

Post by 65dragster »

I think that’s the answer. On the bench it comes apart easily. I’ll install it and see if the main cap does retain the shaft. I think I am feeling like I’ve forgotten everything I thought I knew 40 years ago! Thanks!!!
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

You know you screwed up when you notice the intermediate shaft after you fill the crankcase. :oops:
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Why not just leave the distributor in while you are working.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

rustbucket79 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:05 pm
I interpreted the post differently.

Either bolt the oil pump on, or put the intermediate shaft in with the oil pump until its time to install it. The shaft won't fall out through the main cap.

Silicone is to be used sparingly to SEAL, never as a retention medium. :mrgreen:
Thats where I think the OP has the issue with the collar being wrong or the wrong drive shaft.
If its installed in the pump with the pump on it should not fall through the main cap. If the pump is on there is no way it will fall out if its the correct drive shafy with collar on it.

He mentioned turning the engine upside down with no distributor in the engine to keep it from falling through to the floor.

Has to be the wrong pump drive or even worst case some one drilled the cap and block much larger for some reason.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

The stock pump drive shaft on chevy engines is retained with a plastic collar that "snaps" over the oil pump drive. The aftermarket ones with the steel collar are the best choice, but do not lock on...They just sit in place. Other than keeping the distributor in place, there is nothing you can do to retain them when the engine is turned upside down...nature of the beast. On that note, I don't think it will fit through the cap though.....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

GLHS60 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:15 pm
You know you screwed up when you notice the intermediate shaft after you fill the crankcase. :oops:
My worst such moment was at the end of a total rebuild of my VW Karmann Ghia many years ago. All buttoned up, just lashing the valves, when a reflection caught my eye: a main bearing shell, staring back at me from the bench... #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
65dragster

Post by 65dragster »

I think that’s the hard part of an engine build. When you assemble, check, disassemble, evaluate, reassemble, etc, it’s easy to miss something. I just had brain lock with the oil pump on the bench and after setting the steel intermediate shaft in place, I panicked because it didn’t “lock” into place. Thanks to minds here that don’t have brain lock, I was reminded that the rear cap holds everything in place.
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

rustbucket79 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:58 pm You know you screwed up when you notice the intermediate shaft after you fill the crankcase. :oops:
That would be 5 minutes into a FT break in when you notice the shaft vibrating off the cowl.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Lizardracing wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:27 pm
rustbucket79 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:58 pm You know you screwed up when you notice the intermediate shaft after you fill the crankcase. :oops:
That would be 5 minutes into a FT break in when you notice the shaft vibrating off the cowl.
OOF!