4150 booster swap

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

4150 booster swap

Post by Bill Chase »

I have seen the tools available to do this for a couple hundred bucks, do any of the old timers here have a cheaper home made setup they have used to taper and lock the new boosters in when swapping?

Trying to learn more about this sort of thing, and if I can do it myself for cheaper than a shop would charge without buying the expensive tool that I will only use once.. I would like to do it.

Seems like the taper of a line flaring tool would do the job, but how do you brace and secure the booster while flaring the stem.. are the expensive custom made tools the only way to do it?
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Re: 4150 booster swap

Post by Bill Chase »

Really hoping for the 10 dollar old timer method of doing it if possible. But not if it will cause damage , just hoping for a cheaper way to do it.

No carb shops around here anymore that I can just walk into and give a guy 30 bucks to install 4 new boosters or I would do it.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

If you bought the tool, then you’d be the shop in your area that could offer that service for $30.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

PRH wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:32 am If you bought the tool, then you’d be the shop in your area that could offer that service for $30.

If he would change the boosters for 30 bucks I’d send people to him.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

ClassAct wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:45 am
PRH wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:32 am If you bought the tool, then you’d be the shop in your area that could offer that service for $30.

If he would change the boosters for 30 bucks I’d send people to him.
guess that answers my question. hahaha, thanks guys. i had a guy over the internet say he would swap boosters for an extra 40 bucks while doing a clean, gasket, freshen type rebuild. so I assumed that was a typical rate for the swap.

but then I went on to read that plumb to the venturi may not be the best way to install, that if put on a flow bench sometimes maximum flow through the boosters is at times attained with them slightly angled? not sure if that is bs or not, but it does seem logical when you consider the costs of swapping out such a small and relatively inexpensive part. a true custom carb shop would have to charge more because it is time consuming to do it right with max benefit?

just trying to learn and save a buck, the price of the ultra xp,hp, quick fuel and other 4150 carbs is starting to look better and better when one factors the cost of modifying the old classic 4150 dp
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Bill, if you are just looking to try it on one carb, then screw in boosters from Allstate Carburetors might be your best bet. They offer boosters that can be put in and taken out with a screw from the metering block side. That way you can also reuse the boosters if you want to go back to a certain booster at a later date. They offer both standard and stepped boosters. They may also have annular as well now. Just another idea.

https://allcarbs.com/product/downleg-b ... ation-kit/
That is the install kit, then they offer individual boosters at a reasonable cost.
https://allcarbs.com/product/threaded- ... -boosters/

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

I've run across two main bodies recently where the holes that receive the boosters were not perpendicular to the metering block face. Not visible when the down legs were in but was exaggerated when annulars were slid in. They could only be leveled left to right and not fore and aft. Seems like I've heard of a bushing that could be installed to correct that but I'm not sure of the source. I have a manual tool to install boosters and there is no way I would do it for 40 bucks; even using the mill tool would be more than that.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Yeah, the hp main body upgrade looks more and more economical than initially thought. Just like everything else in this hobby.. expensive