We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

Oil Smoke driving me crazy

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 8786
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:41 am
Location:

Re: Oil Smoke driving me crazy

Post by Kevin Johnson » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:37 pm

Back in the 50s, my Dad rigged up an oil squirt pump that exited in the cast iron exhaust manifold. That was for tailgaters.

Oh yeah, and preventing internal corrosion in the pipes.

User avatar
MadBill
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 14671
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Oil Smoke driving me crazy

Post by MadBill » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:23 pm

Kevin Johnson wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:37 pm
Back in the 50s, my Dad rigged up an oil squirt pump that exited in the cast iron exhaust manifold. That was for tailgaters.

Oh yeah, and preventing internal corrosion in the pipes.
Years ago I was paging through a demerit points list for various driving offenses (don't ask..) and discovered an entry relating to operating a motor vehicle equipped with a smoke screen device...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 8786
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:41 am
Location:

Re: Oil Smoke driving me crazy

Post by Kevin Johnson » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:26 pm

MadBill wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:23 pm
Kevin Johnson wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:37 pm
Back in the 50s, my Dad rigged up an oil squirt pump that exited in the cast iron exhaust manifold. That was for tailgaters.

Oh yeah, and preventing internal corrosion in the pipes.
Years ago I was paging through a demerit points list for various driving offenses (don't ask..) and discovered an entry relating to operating a motor vehicle equipped with a smoke screen device...
Yes, I looked through the Michigan code and found that many of the things done were subsequently declared illegal. I believe around that time the speed limits on some roads were open to interpretation (safe for conditions or some such).

http://legislature.mi.gov/(S(eyzlvm55u5 ... CTIONS.pdf

This is from the year after my Dad arrived from the UK. Somehow he might be to blame. :lol:

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3977
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:34 am
Location: Belgium - Koersel

Re: Oil Smoke driving me crazy

Post by Belgian1979 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:33 pm

Kevin Johnson wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:37 pm
Back in the 50s, my Dad rigged up an oil squirt pump that exited in the cast iron exhaust manifold. That was for tailgaters.

Oh yeah, and preventing internal corrosion in the pipes.
:lol: :lol:

Raybo
Member
Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:09 pm
Location:

Re: Oil Smoke driving me crazy

Post by Raybo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:05 pm

gmrocket wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:35 pm
Raybo wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:08 pm
gmrocket wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:55 pm


Maybe you had fuel wash on initial start up..they do look scuffed which will pinch oil ring first.

Fuel in the oil too by the looks of the bearings.

How did it start up, quick with minimal cranking and fuel?
Fired right up. I didn’t do my normal break in though. Since it has a roller cam I didn’t run it 20 minutes at 2500 RPM. Then I had to break the gears it before I really put it through the paces. Baddies it in the beginning.
Oh well then, You seem have the answer for everything and every suggestion to why it shouldn’t have ate itself up.

Break in what gears and what’s a baddie?
Brand new center section from quick performance. Should say babied

Raybo
Member
Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:09 pm
Location:

Re: Oil Smoke driving me crazy

Post by Raybo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:07 pm

gmrocket wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:35 pm
Raybo wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:08 pm
gmrocket wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:55 pm


Maybe you had fuel wash on initial start up..they do look scuffed which will pinch oil ring first.

Fuel in the oil too by the looks of the bearings.

How did it start up, quick with minimal cranking and fuel?
Fired right up. I didn’t do my normal break in though. Since it has a roller cam I didn’t run it 20 minutes at 2500 RPM. Then I had to break the gears it before I really put it through the paces. Baddies it in the beginning.
Oh well then, You seem have the answer for everything and every suggestion to why it shouldn’t have ate itself up.

Break in what gears and what’s a baddie?
I’m just giving the info I have. I’m pretty meticulous on my builds.

Raybo
Member
Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:09 pm
Location:

Re: Oil Smoke driving me crazy

Post by Raybo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:10 pm

Belgian1979 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:27 am
Any chance that it's sucking oil through the rocker studs?
Could have... I went back and resealed. This is my theory

I had those wrong intake gaskets, I think there was a vacuum leak and it sucked oil. I think that detonated the engine and caused the damage. Once I went back and fixed the intake leak the damage was done then I had another oil control issue. It’s really all I can come up with?

gmrocket
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 7482
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Grimsby Ontario

Re: Oil Smoke driving me crazy

Post by gmrocket » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:36 pm

Raybo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:10 pm
Belgian1979 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:27 am
Any chance that it's sucking oil through the rocker studs?
Could have... I went back and resealed. This is my theory

I had those wrong intake gaskets, I think there was a vacuum leak and it sucked oil. I think that detonated the engine and caused the damage. Once I went back and fixed the intake leak the damage was done then I had another oil control issue. It’s really all I can come up with?
How many babied miles did you have on it?

For it to do that much damage to the pistons and take out all the bearings, it would have used all the oil in the pan .. more than once.

It’s oil mist in the valley, rocker studs are always soaked...the intake ports look spotless, no oil tracing from the gasket surface... are you sure oil was being drawn in there?

I’ve seen more than a few perf engines with shot valve guides smoke like a diesel.. and not detonate.. just foul plugs and make a mess in the chamber

Raybo
Member
Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:09 pm
Location:

Re: Oil Smoke driving me crazy

Post by Raybo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:10 pm

33AE7167-8AC7-482D-82C7-F02F41FECD1E.jpeg
28AAE684-CE07-4357-A573-18B66C9F5791.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3977
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:34 am
Location: Belgium - Koersel

Re: Oil Smoke driving me crazy

Post by Belgian1979 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:49 am

Raybo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:10 pm
Belgian1979 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:27 am
Any chance that it's sucking oil through the rocker studs?
Could have... I went back and resealed. This is my theory

I had those wrong intake gaskets, I think there was a vacuum leak and it sucked oil. I think that detonated the engine and caused the damage. Once I went back and fixed the intake leak the damage was done then I had another oil control issue. It’s really all I can come up with?
What did you use on the studs? I used RTV on them and found out more than once that it doesn't hold up to oil. I'll probably need to take them off. Not sure that will solve it on mine though. Might indeed still be the guides. I don't think that on these out of the box heads the valve guide clearance is set very well.

Raybo
Member
Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:09 pm
Location:

Re: Oil Smoke driving me crazy

Post by Raybo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:37 pm

Belgian1979 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:49 am
Raybo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:10 pm
Belgian1979 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:27 am
Any chance that it's sucking oil through the rocker studs?
Could have... I went back and resealed. This is my theory

I had those wrong intake gaskets, I think there was a vacuum leak and it sucked oil. I think that detonated the engine and caused the damage. Once I went back and fixed the intake leak the damage was done then I had another oil control issue. It’s really all I can come up with?
What did you use on the studs? I used RTV on them and found out more than once that it doesn't hold up to oil. I'll probably need to take them off. Not sure that will solve it on mine though. Might indeed still be the guides. I don't think that on these out of the box heads the valve guide clearance is set very well.
I used liquid PTFE. Guide clearance was .0015” intake .0018” exhaust.

Post Reply