Oil Smoke driving me crazy

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Oil Smoke driving me crazy

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Back in the 50s, my Dad rigged up an oil squirt pump that exited in the cast iron exhaust manifold. That was for tailgaters.

Oh yeah, and preventing internal corrosion in the pipes.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:37 pm Back in the 50s, my Dad rigged up an oil squirt pump that exited in the cast iron exhaust manifold. That was for tailgaters.

Years ago I was paging through a demerit points list for various driving offenses (don't ask..) and discovered an entry relating to operating a motor vehicle equipped with a smoke screen device...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

MadBill wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:23 pm
Kevin Johnson wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:37 pm Back in the 50s, my Dad rigged up an oil squirt pump that exited in the cast iron exhaust manifold. That was for tailgaters.

Years ago I was paging through a demerit points list for various driving offenses (don't ask..) and discovered an entry relating to operating a motor vehicle equipped with a smoke screen device...
Yes, I looked through the Michigan code and found that many of the things done were subsequently declared illegal. I believe around that time the speed limits on some roads were open to interpretation (safe for conditions or some such).

http://legislature.mi.gov/(S(eyzlvm55u5 ... CTIONS.pdf

This is from the year after my Dad arrived from the UK. Somehow he might be to blame. :lol:
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

:lol: :lol:
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

gmrocket wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:35 pm
Raybo wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:08 pm
gmrocket wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:55 pm

Maybe you had fuel wash on initial start up..they do look scuffed which will pinch oil ring first.

Fuel in the oil too by the looks of the bearings.

How did it start up, quick with minimal cranking and fuel?
Fired right up. I didn’t do my normal break in though. Since it has a roller cam I didn’t run it 20 minutes at 2500 RPM. Then I had to break the gears it before I really put it through the paces. Baddies it in the beginning.
Oh well then, You seem have the answer for everything and every suggestion to why it shouldn’t have ate itself up.

Break in what gears and what’s a baddie?
Brand new center section from quick performance. Should say babied
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

gmrocket wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:35 pm
Raybo wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:08 pm
gmrocket wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:55 pm

Maybe you had fuel wash on initial start up..they do look scuffed which will pinch oil ring first.

Fuel in the oil too by the looks of the bearings.

How did it start up, quick with minimal cranking and fuel?
Fired right up. I didn’t do my normal break in though. Since it has a roller cam I didn’t run it 20 minutes at 2500 RPM. Then I had to break the gears it before I really put it through the paces. Baddies it in the beginning.
Oh well then, You seem have the answer for everything and every suggestion to why it shouldn’t have ate itself up.

Break in what gears and what’s a baddie?
I’m just giving the info I have. I’m pretty meticulous on my builds.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

Belgian1979 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:27 am Any chance that it's sucking oil through the rocker studs?
Could have... I went back and resealed. This is my theory

I had those wrong intake gaskets, I think there was a vacuum leak and it sucked oil. I think that detonated the engine and caused the damage. Once I went back and fixed the intake leak the damage was done then I had another oil control issue. It’s really all I can come up with?
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Raybo wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:10 pm
Belgian1979 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:27 am Any chance that it's sucking oil through the rocker studs?

I had those wrong intake gaskets, I think there was a vacuum leak and it sucked oil. I think that detonated the engine and caused the damage. Once I went back and fixed the intake leak the damage was done then I had another oil control issue. It’s really all I can come up with?
How many babied miles did you have on it?

For it to do that much damage to the pistons and take out all the bearings, it would have used all the oil in the pan .. more than once.

It’s oil mist in the valley, rocker studs are always soaked...the intake ports look spotless, no oil tracing from the gasket surface... are you sure oil was being drawn in there?

I’ve seen more than a few perf engines with shot valve guides smoke like a diesel.. and not detonate.. just foul plugs and make a mess in the chamber
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

33AE7167-8AC7-482D-82C7-F02F41FECD1E.jpeg
28AAE684-CE07-4357-A573-18B66C9F5791.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

What did you use on the studs? I used RTV on them and found out more than once that it doesn't hold up to oil. I'll probably need to take them off. Not sure that will solve it on mine though. Might indeed still be the guides. I don't think that on these out of the box heads the valve guide clearance is set very well.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

Belgian1979 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:49 am

What did you use on the studs? I used RTV on them and found out more than once that it doesn't hold up to oil. I'll probably need to take them off. Not sure that will solve it on mine though. Might indeed still be the guides. I don't think that on these out of the box heads the valve guide clearance is set very well.
I used liquid PTFE. Guide clearance was .0015” intake .0018” exhaust.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

Update**
Found an issue when I was putting this thing back together. My TDC mark that I made on my balancer now looks to be 22* advance. So I would have had 56* total timing in it. Ouch. I made a big mistake. I think all the oil problems came after I hurt the pistons and they couldn’t control the rings anymore. I don’t think the balancer spun. It’s new I just messed up.
Nut124
Pro
Pro

Post by Nut124 »

Raybo wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:22 pm Update**
Found an issue when I was putting this thing back together. My TDC mark that I made on my balancer now looks to be 22* advance. So I would have had 56* total timing in it. Ouch. I made a big mistake. I think all the oil problems came after I hurt the pistons and they couldn’t control the rings anymore. I don’t think the balancer spun. It’s new I just messed up.
Interesting thread, thanks.

So, what is the theory on the bearing damage? Excessive load from detonation?
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

If the damper has a outer and inner ring, it's always wise to put a paint stripe across the joint so you can tell if it shifts. Years back a couple of guys asked for my help when the rented 427 in their road race Corvette pulled up lame. Their story was they checked the timing and found it retarded. They reset it but now it ran poorly. They checked again and again it was retarded; that's when the sent up the Bat Signal.
I knew the builder was pretty meticulous so I checked the damper. Sure enough, the outer ring had retarded itself ~15°vs. the inner; they had cranked over 50° into a previously great running engine and detonated the whee out of it... #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

Nut124 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:21 pm
Raybo wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:22 pm Update**
Interesting thread, thanks.

So, what is the theory on the bearing damage? Excessive load from detonation?
Either that or some material from the pistons. There were pretty beat up on some edges.