We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

Pass-on 4 valve engine project

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Pass-on 4 valve engine project

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks » Fri May 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Over the past 10 years or so, I have built some foundry tooling for a 4 valve cylinderhead for a 5.0@ bore spacing block.
It requires a custom block to finish, a 4.9 bore spacing Ford or 5.0 bore spacing Cadillac are not compatible with the project.

As part of the project, I also have a 5 axis CNC that I set up for head porting, and a camshaft grinder.

Two weeks ago I joined a Silicon Valley start-up project that I expect to take 100% (and more) of my time for the next 5 years.
So I will be moving and need to decide what to do with all of the stuff.

I would prefer that the equipment go to someone that will use it for something somewhat close to what I built it for than go to a machinery dealer or job shop.
The CNCs are tall and require 10 foot high doors.

I am located in Orange CA. I will also be selling the house with a shop in the back.
If someone wanted to move to SoCal and have a shop, this is the easiest on-ramp that will ever exist.

If any of this is something that you might be interested in, and capable of advancing. Drop me an email at jon@schmidtmotorworks.com

All of this will go be over quickly, I have already disposed of about 1/3rd of my equipment, mostly the woodworking stuff.
The foundry goes Sunday.

After that the hard equipment mentioned goes.
http://www.schmidtmotorworks.com Prototypes, Tooling, Molds.

Leftcoaster
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Pass-on 4 valve engine project

Post by Leftcoaster » Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 am

All the best Jon, no doubt your talent and work ethic will be appreciated
Thanks for sharing enlightening CFD simulations, contemporary designs and manufacturing methods with us
When possible please revisit and keep us informed of your progress

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:01 pm

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:03 pm
Over the past 10 years or so, I have built some foundry tooling for a 4 valve cylinder head for a 5.0" bore spacing block.
It requires a custom block to finish, a 4.9 bore spacing Ford or 5.0 bore spacing Cadillac are not compatible with the project.
Congrats, Jon. Were I a few years younger, I'd take you up on the offer.

As to the 4-valve head for a 5.0" bore spacing block; just what I've been looking for to put on my Packard V8s!
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering

JoePorting
HotPass
HotPass

Post by JoePorting » Thu May 28, 2020 3:26 pm

Do you have any CAD pictures of the finished head? How come you didn't make it fit a BBC block? Good luck up north. Is the company ICE related?

Enjoyed looking at all your CFD material over the years.
Joe Facciano

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks » Fri May 29, 2020 10:48 am

JoePorting wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:26 pm
Do you have any CAD pictures of the finished head? How come you didn't make it fit a BBC block? Good luck up north. Is the company ICE related?

Enjoyed looking at all your CFD material over the years.
I will post a picture later.

There is no pushrod block that has a usable head bolt and water jacket pattern for a well designed DOHC head.

I am working on an electric flying car.

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks » Fri May 29, 2020 11:00 am

Here are some images of the 4 valve head CAD and foundry tooling, about 10 sand pieces to make one head.
The sand mold is much more complex than a 2-valve pushrod head.
head_as_cast_4.jpg
head_as_cast_3.jpg
base_core_box.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoePorting
HotPass
HotPass

Post by JoePorting » Fri May 29, 2020 1:04 pm

Looks like the head has some nice tall ports to it. Should flow really good. What do you think the cost would be to make a custom block to fit these heads? I would think it would be around $2 million or so. If head bolts and water ports are the only limitation, I'd think working with Dart and having them make a custom BBC casting with your own custom head bolt holes and water port holes would be alot cheaper. As is, I'd think the only company that could finance something like this would be Mercury Marine. They must have spent a bunch of money developing their SB4 motor. But I think even their SB4 motor used an LS block.

https://www.mercuryracing.com/automotive/

It probably wouldn't take you much to redesign the head for a BBC block. Maybe try and redesign it for pushrods and rocker arms. Paul Rock at Rock Pattern could probably make Printed Sand Core tooling for only $10k or $15k. Maybe you or someone else could do the whole thing for around $200k. Just a wild guess.
Joe Facciano