Mark IV BBC cam bearing orientation

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru
Mark IV BBC cam bearing orientation

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

I noticed on my 454 block the center cam bearing housing has a groove machined in it-I could clock that bearing oil feed hole at 3 oclock? Would there be any advantage to doing this with all of them?
Pro question poster.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Re: Mark IV BBC cam bearing orientation

Post by Alaskaracer »

If the block isn't grooved, you can take a die grinder and burr and grind a shallow groove in the od of the bearing, about .020-.030" deep, about the same width of the oil hole. Best place to clock the oil hole in a cam bearing is to clock it at approx 4 o'clock. This makes sure the cam is traveling on the oil wedge. Should have been done like this from the factory. As to the housing of your setup, go for it....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Would there be any advantage...
Sure, why not, not that better then adequate vs advantage makes every thing feel more comfortable for you even if it lessens the flow everywhere else.
How well finished are the bearings outlet?
IDK Mark IV BBC, does #3 also feed anything?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Bob Hollinshead wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:19 am I noticed on my 454 block the center cam bearing housing has a groove machined in it-I could clock that bearing oil feed hole at 3 oclock? Would there be any advantage to doing this with all of them?
You can only do that when there is an annulus behind the bearing; whether it is already there or you machine it there.
Otherwise you simply need to align it with wherever the oil supply hole is located.

Sometimes there is an annulus machined into the backside of the bearing.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:50 pm
Bob Hollinshead wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:19 am I noticed on my 454 block the center cam bearing housing has a groove machined in it-I could clock that bearing oil feed hole at 3 oclock? Would there be any advantage to doing this with all of them?
You can only do that when there is an annulus behind the bearing; whether it is already there or you machine it there.
Otherwise you simply need to align it with wherever the oil supply hole is located.

Sometimes there is an annulus machined into the backside of the bearing.
number 3 and number 5 have the annulus machined, 1,2, & 4 do not but it would be easy enough to make that groove to the 3 or 4 o'clock position or make a short groove on the bearing backside. It makes sense to do it I think but it it's not eating up bearings there isn't an issue right?
Pro question poster.
Racing68
Pro
Pro

Post by Racing68 »

Durabond CH12B has a grove machined in the back of the bearing already if you want to save some time.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

allencr267 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:23 pm
Would there be any advantage...
Sure, why not, not that better then adequate vs advantage makes every thing feel more comfortable for you even if it lessens the flow everywhere else.
How well finished are the bearings outlet?
IDK Mark IV BBC, does #3 also feed anything?
Grooving the bearings and orienting the holes in the 3-4 o'clock position will not affect oil flow to anything else, it will remain the same. Repositioning the hole improves the oil wedge that the camshaft rides on, nothing more. I don't know of any engine builders that clock the bearings directly in line with the oil holes anymore.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Racing68 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:52 pm Durabond CH12B has a grove machined in the back of the bearing already if you want to save some time.
Awesome!
Pro question poster.