Mercury (Ford) 289 marine, worth buying?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jacksoni
Guru
Guru

Re: Mercury (Ford) 289 marine, worth buying?

Post by jacksoni »

There is a very long thread about the nickel content question here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20092&hilit=high+nickle+block

As Jack says, hard rumor to stamp out.

Just out of curiosity, beside making it be something other than "cast Iron" what would an actual HIGH nickel formula do to the machining/strength characteristics? Guess going to need one of the metallurgists to answer as it seems no one has actually ever seen one... LOL.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

jacksoni wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:30 pmJust out of curiosity, beside making it be something other than "cast Iron" what would an actual HIGH nickel formula do to the machining/strength characteristics? Guess going to need one of the metallurgists to answer as it seems no one has actually ever seen one... LOL.
Back in another lifetime, I worked in a foundry producing Ni-hard, nickel/chromium alloy iron wear parts for rock crushers. The castings had to be accurate, as it was a bitch to machine. The modern compacted graphite iron alloys are more expensive to machine than gray iron.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

All interesting stuff, gents.

The pos seller- after I gave hin the bid- sent a message that it was picked up by someone else. So- left here, still looking...

Piling together what I need for the new Ford racing ‘boss’ block. Nee headbstuds, svo head gaskets, svo cam bearings.... the costs will be closer to 3500$. I can live with that.
But the thing I hate the most is that all good parts on the shelf for a stock block has to gi in the thrash. 2 sets of head gaskets, arp studs....
Nest time I do a engine, it will be something more easy to get. This is stupid....

And even more irritating.... the one shop that can fix my stock block lifter hole are in Sweden. And because of Corona, the borders are closed... OK. Wait another week and see- maybe I can travel over there. Maybe another block shows up...

As my pal said...»You won’t race that carbthis summer»....
How to turn GURU in an instant.....