Kinsler mech. Injection SBF

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Kinsler mech. Injection SBF

Post by Caprimaniac »

One of the things I enjoy is oldskool tech. And I’ve been pounderung around magneto ignition and mech injection.

A guy is selling a Kinsler manifold for SBF 8.2’’ for 1000$, and that might be a good price for such an item.

Is there something I should look out for on this piece? The obvious might be the linkage and shafts + throttle blades?

Also, looking at new mech kits, they state 1 13/16’’ dia throttles. Just wonder what kindnof hp I could look at with a 370cui engine? Dragracing.
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Kinsler mech. Injection SBF

Post by FC-Pilot »

If I were in your shoes I would try and find out what the throttle bore is as well as the conditions of the throttle shafts. I enjoy running stack injectors for the nostalgic look. I accept that I am giving up some power for it. If set up well they can be very consistent as well. There is a whole routine for maintenance that should be adapted to help maintain that performance and consistency. What would your application be?

Oops, you said drag racing. What kind of vehicle would it go in?

As far as performance, we made anywhere from 800 to north of 1000 HP with similar size BBC. Just like normal stuff, the heads, cam, and the rest of the engine combo are your big determining factors as long as your throttle bore size is proper and stack lengths are close.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Of course they aren't streetable but, in the power band, they will produce excellent HP and they are easy to jet.

I was going to replace my Webers with Hilborn's version, in the '70's and ran a compaison, dyno run with both. The Hilborn produce EXACTLY the same HP and TQ as the Webers. I was of course, hoping for more, to justify the extra plumbing. So, I sold the Hilborn and stuck with the Webers.

But, the fact that they had the same numbers, means that they are very efficient, because the the Webers had just been jetted for the most power, on the dyno, by the most experienced engine builder in SoCal.

The above was not a SBF but, a Formula Atlantic, Ford Cosworth engine. I'd love to have a set for my 306 SBF build, that I'm doing now, it would be more cost effective than Webers today.

If you don't buy them, could you give the contact info?
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

The guy selling is in Hadeland, Norway. Where my granpa was born btw... An hour up the street from me...

I did see a «new» Kinsler or Hillborn, complete good looking puece for sale at ebay motors a week ago for around 2000$ btw.

Good info on the Hp there. Lagacy.... wasn’t these stack alky stuff developed for circle track running radical flat- tappet cams back in the day... Not spcifically for drag applicstions.... I don’t know- have to dig more in the history...

Most likeli it will go into a 70’s Capri. Cos all I have are Capri’s. I’m the Maniac, you know...

But 1K hp’s from a 370cui bbc? At 11000 rpm, then?

Hope to see the parts in person as to decide.

Thanks, gents
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Capri,
Stu Hilborn is credited with the creation of MFI after WW2. At the time I think he was involved with Bonneville type racing.
Some info here.
http://hilborninjection.com/hilborn-history/
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

I believe that Hilborn was the first to make these positive displacement (lawn sprinkler) type FI systems, commercially available and I think they started with Indy Car (Champ Car) and Midgets and then went to drag racing. Then, in the late 50's, many others came out with their own but, based on the Hilborn system. Throttle size and location, were the main differences.

There was, at least one (Scott?) that used pressure (centrifugal), rather than volume for the A/F curve but, it didn't last or maybe even work very well because of the pressure/volume ratio.

These systems would have been extremely popular if they would have been streetable and start w/o squirting gas into the intake.
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

Caprimaniac wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:37 am One of the things I enjoy is oldskool tech. And I’ve been pounderung around magneto ignition and mech injection.

A guy is selling a Kinsler manifold for SBF 8.2’’ for 1000$, and that might be a good price for such an item.

Is there something I should look out for on this piece? The obvious might be the linkage and shafts + throttle blades?

Also, looking at new mech kits, they state 1 13/16’’ dia throttles. Just wonder what kindnof hp I could look at with a 370cui engine? Dragracing.
IMHO the throttles are too small for that many cubes. You nee more like 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 to make more power. Look at Frank's first post about the Hilborn VS the Webers. His case is a perfect example where larger throttles would have made more power than the Webers. Current 410 sprint car engines are right at 3" throttles now to make 900+ hp.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

I think the wing cars run 2.9 and 3" and the non wing run 2.8xx to 2.900, but they get a lot of their torque from the 16-1+ and the 410 cubes, and the methanol..

I think a 370" drag motor might like something like a 2.625 or 2.750 but don't know for sure.