Fiat twin cam - starting head gasket failure?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Nut124
Pro
Pro

Fiat twin cam - starting head gasket failure?

Post by Nut124 »

I received head, block and crank from shop. They said head checked out OK and did not need to get surfaced, which I had hoped for.

Got second thoughts after examining the head gasket that came out of the engine. It seems to show tiny flame paths past the fire ring. The head has matching defects in it.

Is this what It seems - fire ring failure?

What is the slimmest cut that can be taken from an aluminum head like this? The head has cast iron seats that may be in the cut path? Is that going to mess up the surfacing cut?

AC sports
Pro
Pro
Re: Fiat twin cam - starting head gasket failure?

Post by AC sports »

Resurface it. It's ok if the cutter takes out the top of the cast iron seat inserts. It's very common on those heads. Just not to the point you got to sink the 45* contact face too much otherwise you will need to top your valves.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Machined a few of these in the past, mostly to get the comp up a tad

It's ok to kiss the seats, as long as you don't go mad
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Nut124 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:53 pm Is this what It seems - fire ring failure?
More a failure to prep the surface right, looks horrible, and not re-torquing it, maybe no lube or rough bolt head surface caused under torque.
I'm not afraid to smooth a lousy machine shop rough cut with wetordry or emery & a block. I've got a piece of marble, bur even a rubber body work type block can smooth it out if done lightly & evenly.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Looks like a hemi with quench ,lucky you!
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Nut124
Pro
Pro

Post by Nut124 »

Thanks for the replies, again.

I took the head to another shop. The owner said his mill will produce a flawless finish. Was not worried about seats affecting his cut. Good for MLS. May have to recut the intake seats if seat width gets too narrow.

I received a new cam today. Italian. Duration is a bout the same as my hot street cam, 300deg at 0.016 lash. This one has much wider lobe tips. Twice as much lift at TDC - about 3.5mm or 0.140". Kind of looks like the Guy Croft Stg2 lobe profile. Lot of lift integral.

The previous 300deg street cam on the right. I plan on using it for the exhaust.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Verify the block surface first. Some aluminum blocks (e.g. Alfa Romeo) are specced for a thous or more of sleeve protrusion. The machine work on a friend's Alfa block left the sleeves at zero and he suffered head gasket failures until it was corrected.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Block's iron ... integral cylinders
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Fiat-Alfa; tomato-tomata :oops:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Truckedup wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:16 am Looks like a hemi with quench ,lucky you!
Do you weld them in?
Thanks.
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

That's detonation.
There is no S on the end of RPM.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

MadBill wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:48 pm Fiat-Alfa; tomato-tomata :oops:
Renaults had protruding liners and both iron and alloy blocks: tomate.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

4vpc wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:49 pm That's detonation.
TTT
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

For someone that pretty much builds just Fiat and Alfa classic engines....I assure you they are chalk and cheese!
I can assemble a Fiat twincam in half the time.
The Alfa is an older design but all alloy with iron sleeves.
And alloy head. Fiat has a cast iron block and alloy head with a better more modern chamber as you can see. Alfas chamber is hemi without squish and ports are virtually horizontal. Fiats have a slight down draft from horizontal. I currently have one of each on the stands. Much prefer the Fiat, although the Alfa does have the best wet sump system af all !
Momus
Pro
Pro

Post by Momus »

AC sports wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:06 am For someone that pretty much builds just Fiat and Alfa classic engines....I assure you they are chalk and cheese!
I can assemble a Fiat twincam in half the time.
The Alfa is an older design but all alloy with iron sleeves.
And alloy head. Fiat has a cast iron block and alloy head with a better more modern chamber as you can see. Alfas chamber is hemi without squish and ports are virtually horizontal. Fiats have a slight down draft from horizontal. I currently have one of each on the stands. Much prefer the Fiat, although the Alfa does have the best wet sump system af all !
Alfa wet sleeve fours would be one of the most recalcitrant engines ever designed.

I had one, a 2 litre 40 odd years ago that would pull the main bearing bores out of round when the head nuts were tightened on the through-the-case studs sufficiently to seal slightly increased compression. After an inordinate amount of work- with very limited resources- we were able to get about 90hp per litre from it.