We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

Dominator - can't even get it to idle

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Freddie

Re: Dominator - can't even get it to idle

Post by Freddie » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:38 am

No it hasn't and I've been thinking of doing exactly that...I live ina quiet area so I can get miles on it with no hood without issues. Might even do that today

shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:43 am

back the timing down to 30 and take it for a spin......you can check the beginning of the advance curve by using your timing light.....not sure if you will be able to view your tach though at the same time.....maybe video it with your cell phone so you can see what advance is at 2000 and at 2500 etc etc.....see if you can keep the maximum advanced number around 36 degrees when you're driving it......

Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:38 am

The engine likes & wants more idle timing. Big mistake that many tuners make, not giving big cammed engines enough idle timing. Your starter doesn't like 42* initial??? Who could blame it? There is a simple, inexpensive fix: use a dist that has an adjustable vac adv. There is a reason that so many dists are sold today....with adj VA units.....
The VA units can add up to about 30* of timing. So you could run 12* initial [ static ] &, with the VA connected to MANIFOLD vacuum, the engine will idle at 42*. You could use more static initial & less VA by adding a limiter to the VA actuator. Any combination you want. The beauty of using VA is that it is load sensitive & will drop off under load, which is what you want.

Freddie

Post by Freddie » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:33 am

OK so today's update.

Tried bigger air bleed on the idle air. Only had 85s (I was running 75s). LOL..so lean I was getting massive exhaust backfire. Quick shut er down and put the 75s back in.

Still rich at idle.

Oil (break in oil with roughly 30-40 of screwing around with the carb time on it) is looking a bit black and I'm getting black liquid squirting out the exhaust.

I bloody hope I havent burnished the bores, that would suck.

That said I needed to get the rings seated. So fired it up and out we went.

It is currently set up as
Primary jets are 80's
Secondary jets are 94
Primary PV = 25
Secondary PV blocked
IAB = 75
HSAB = 33
IFRs = 35

Fuel pressure 5psi
float levels knocked down a bit.

Better at idle but still rich.

On the road.

I get a stumble after the pump shot has completed. Momentary but definately can feel it

Also once I get to about 4,000rpm it really stops pulling and basically won't go any higher in RPM.

so I still need to focus on the idle.

But for now I'm going to drop the oil and filter and replace both as current oil is clearly full of fuel.

On Idle I'm thinking I need to reduce the IFRs some more. Currently 35s I think I need to go to 33 or maybe even 32

Off pump shot stumble I'll deal with later and peak RPM I suspect I just need to jet it up a bit, especially primary...my old 1050 AED has 102 secondaries and that pulled way harder

econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:17 am

My friend I would get that carb off of that motor ASAP. Its gonna ruin your motor. :(

Freddie

Post by Freddie » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:14 pm

not giving up yet.

Waiting for o2 sensor to arrive

have not had an AF gauge on this yet and I know they aren't that helpful at idle but I need more info.

Took the carb off to go after then next round of settings.

Decreasing IFR's from 35 to 33 and upping secondary jets to 98s (ran lean at WOT). May need to go higher again but will start there.

But while off I just did a triple check of everything. Found an interesting outcome on the transition slot.

Primary no prob. Both bores set at 0.020" perfect
secondaries. One bore is perfect at 0.020" yet the other is closer to 0.050". Throttle blade is not sticking, everything is buttoned up tight. It's just the transition slot in that bore is longer.

So what to do, half them out (one at 0.010" and one at 0.040") or have the long one at 0.020"?

I'm thinking half them out so I don't create an overly excessive lean idle on one side. Or I can even drop the IFR again on that side that is longer to reduce fuel to that bore.

Thoughts ?