Another lifter question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

fdt
Another lifter question

Post by fdt »

Newbie to this site so be gentle. I have a question about using street performance v's high RPm lifters. I normally work on harleys but I am currently building a SBC 383 with a Lunati roller cam part # 20120713 with AFR 1040 heads. With the harleys roller lifters i usually put a travel limiter in them and then extend the pushrod until the lifter bottoms out and back off 1 full turn. Job done. Would it matter what lifter i use if i use the same technique on the SBC ? The harleys only rev to 6500rpm and the sbc is only going to 6800rpm. Any feedback ?
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Re: Another lifter question

Post by HDBD »

The difference is Harleys have cylinder growth (and shrink cold). A SBC not, so they are usually set on the top side of the .200 plunger travel. depends on the lifter.
fdt

Post by fdt »

I guess that is why we back off 1 full turn after bottoming out to allow for growth. I am guessing there would be some with the sbc through the valve train, but if it less would that not mean i could get away with backing off 1/2 a turn or even 1/4 turn. Would the lifter still pump up if it has been collapsed ?
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

As you are both familiar with Harley Davidson lifters, post 84 lifters share a lot of internal design with automotive units. But, there are as you also know different internals as well that can be adjusted with different methods.
There were early ones that had lower internal shoulders that would allow the lower chamber check and spring to be crushed if over compression of the lifter occurred, these were the ones that had lifter limiters manufactured for, the limiter was around .120" thick and there were two ø as well.

The original adjustment was bottom out and back off a couple of flats, this resulted in possibly noisy lifters for quite a period of time as the lifters had to be cycled a lot for them to bleed, the adjustment of bottom out then back off one turn came about due to this, the full turn back off allowed the lifter to purge better.

Some of the lifters now in use can be bottomed out without limiters as the inner support shoulder is now higher and protects the spring and check valve when bottomed out, same thing, back off one turn to purge the lifter.[Check out Zippers for their adjustment recommendations for this info]
When i set mine i bottom the lifter then back off till i can just turn the pushrod between my fingers with a lot effort and lock it there, it is effectively a riding lifter, as soon as the engine has any heat in it at all they spin freely.

Cheers.
fdt

Post by fdt »

Thanks for that Hoody, but would this procedure also work with a sbc effectively turning it into a solid lifter.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

We have two different applications here, I went off topic by bringing up the Harley Davidson application, but as both you guys have experience in what we do with that vehicle i thought it worth mentioning if it could help.

With the S/B Chev, the lifter manufacturers recommendation will be the way to go, if they want .020" or zero preload and the lifter is correct for your application go with that. I know there are guys on this forum that will only use one manufacturers products, and all others are some lesser item in their eyes, but i couldn't think of a US manufacturer of a high performance products that would shoot for price point over a quality that they could deliver.

Cheers.