SB2.2 lifters and cam cores

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

408 Nova
Pro
Pro

SB2.2 lifters and cam cores

Post by 408 Nova »

Is there a dedicated set of lifters for a block drilled for the SB2.2 lifter "pattern"?

Also, what kind of cam cores are available for SB2.2s? I can get a big block Chevy cam tunnel and a 55 mm cam tunnel for the blocks I'm looking at.
The 55 mm would be better for more lobe lift and larger base circle and barrel diameter, correct?

The reason I ask is because I already have the rockers for the SB2.2 heads and the intakes are only 1.65s, and I'm wanting to be way over .800" net valve lift.
RTR-1

Re: SB2.2 lifters and cam cores

Post by RTR-1 »

Yes, there are lifters with link bars specific for a SB2 lifter pattern block. I think if you're looking for higher lobe lifts it would be much better to go with a 55mm core. Also, BBC sized SB2 cores are not as common as 55mm cores especially if you're looking for a wider LSA. But there is the rod to cam clearance factor if you're using a longer stroke + 55mm core and a STD cam height block. :?
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

Thanks for the info sir. Those blocks I'm looking at have the cams raised .391".
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

I have bought Jessel key way lifters that have no tie bar. Pretty normal.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Adam, keyway guided lifters was not mentioned in the discussion, do not understand how your reply relates ? Mark H.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

swampbuggy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:28 pm Adam, keyway guided lifters was not mentioned in the discussion, do not understand how your reply relates ? Mark H.
Should have said if he didn't want to run links.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

408 Nova wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:35 am Is there a dedicated set of lifters for a block drilled for the SB2.2 lifter "pattern"?

Also, what kind of cam cores are available for SB2.2s? I can get a big block Chevy cam tunnel and a 55 mm cam tunnel for the blocks I'm looking at.
The 55 mm would be better for more lobe lift and larger base circle and barrel diameter, correct?

The reason I ask is because I already have the rockers for the SB2.2 heads and the intakes are only 1.65s, and I'm wanting to be way over .800" net valve lift.
There are no production aftermarket cam cores available, for that much lobe lift. You will have to have a custom cam core made. You may find someone willing to grind you the lift you want, on an aftermarket core, but it won't last long. All the SB2 cores, were designed with NASCAR in mind, and with 2.1 rockers, they didn't need a lot of lobe lift.
Basically, you screwed yourself, going with 1.65 rockers on an SB2 head.
If you're stuck with those rockers, I would suggest calling LSM Engineering, and have them make you a custom core.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

CamKing wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:19 am
408 Nova wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:35 am Is there a dedicated set of lifters for a block drilled for the SB2.2 lifter "pattern"?

There are no production aftermarket cam cores available, for that much lobe lift. You will have to have a custom cam core made. You may find someone willing to grind you the lift you want, on an aftermarket core, but it won't last long. All the SB2 cores, were designed with NASCAR in mind, and with 2.1 rockers, they didn't need a lot of lobe lift.
If you're stuck with those rockers, I would suggest calling LSM Engineering, and have them make you a custom core.

I'll take whatever I can get. I don't think I want a custom anything because that will probably add cost. And it doesn't make sense to get something that's just not going to last.

I guess if I still want to be gung ho and go after that much valve lift, I'll spring for the 2.1 rockers.

That being said, what cam cores do you have available for the SB2.2's, and I'm talking about all journal diameters?

And I didn't mean to start anything on here. I'm surely not opposed to keyed lifters. Thank y'all.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

408 Nova wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:49 pm

I'll take whatever I can get. I don't think I want a custom anything because that will probably add cost. And it doesn't make sense to get something that's just not going to last.

I guess if I still want to be gung ho and go after that much valve lift, I'll spring for the 2.1 rockers.

That being said, what cam cores do you have available for the SB2.2's, and I'm talking about all journal diameters?

And I didn't mean to start anything on here. I'm surely not opposed to keyed lifters. Thank y'all.
On the shelf for an SBC block, with SB2 heads, we have 50mm journal cores, and we can grind those down to BB Chevy journals.
All my 55mm SB2 stuff, is for SB2 blocks, where they moved the lifter locations, and angles.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

CamKing wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:25 pm

On the shelf for an SBC block, with SB2 heads, we have 50mm journal cores, and we can grind those down to BB Chevy journals.
All my 55mm SB2 stuff, is for SB2 blocks, where they moved the lifter locations, and angles.
The reason I ask is because I can get a Dart aluminum block at a deal set up with big block Chevy cam tunnels drilled for the standard sbc lifter layout, or I can get a Brodix aluminum block setup for 55 mm cam journals, and I can have it drilled for the SB2.2 lifter pattern.

Is the 55 mm cam what I need to go with? Is there going to be any power difference as far as lifter layout is concerned? Reliability either way?
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

The SB2 lifter payout, straightens out the valvetrain
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

CamKing wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:25 pm

I'll call you when I'm ready for a cam.
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

Well, I got myself some Jesel 2.10 rockers and a set of Crower .937 lifters for a SB2.2 in hand.

We are gonna have a 15:1 406 ci short-block that I want to shift at 8500. The heads are 360 cfm plus, and should be 380 plus when we get done with them. An M&M 4500 flanged intake will finish up the top end, which I don't have yet. We'll get an appropriate converter after it comes off the dyno.

Anyone have any experience camming an engine like this? From what I've seen on here, Camking (Mike Jones) seems to have the experience and know how to get the job done. Anyone else want to take a shot at it from experience?

Is 900 hp too much to ask out of what we have here?
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

I would go with the SB2.2 style lifter layout and use flat tappet cam with long ratio rockers.... No roller lifter issues
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

408 Nova wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:30 am Well, I got myself some Jesel 2.10 rockers and a set of Crower .937 lifters for a SB2.2 in hand.

We are gonna have a 15:1 406 ci short-block that I want to shift at 8500. The heads are 360 cfm plus, and should be 380 plus when we get done with them. An M&M 4500 flanged intake will finish up the top end, which I don't have yet. We'll get an appropriate converter after it comes off the dyno.

Anyone have any experience camming an engine like this? From what I've seen on here, Camking (Mike Jones) seems to have the experience and know how to get the job done. Anyone else want to take a shot at it from experience?

Is 900 hp too much to ask out of what we have here?
those heads should go 400s easy, try to find an edelbrock 2883 intake.