Applying the DV 128 formula on a Supercharged engine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Re: Applying the DV 128 formula on a Supercharged engine

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:02 pm DV does qualify the engine type and purpose. Very clearly.
False^^^ (The qualifications and fudge factors came later)

Last edited by SchmidtMotorWorks on Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Despite quotes, pointing to experts well beyond David’s expertise in the field, you still won’t budge. Why? What would it take to convince you? Apparently experts with successful winning records as well as physics won’t...

David qualified it publicly years after that advert. Maybe he did at his seminars before, but that was the point. It was misleading and framed as letting you in “on a secret” that somehow the cam companies were conspiring against you, to cost you power, and if you pay him, he’ll tell you. They weren’t and they aren’t.

Here is Mike Jones’ response like two posts after the 128 equation was revealed:
So, it's a "rule of thumb"
If it was a true mathematical equation, it would be correct for any engine combination.
Keep in mind Mike even grinds camshafts for David and he is calling a spade a spade.
-Bob
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Based on the cam catalogs they are...

Bring proof that DV is basicly wrong on the discribed engines and purpose . Prove it... If you can knock it, prove it.
DV 's method does not go against physics. On these typical engines for which it is intended..
These engines are more alike than different.

The typical available intakes and headers used on all the typical hot rod street strip engines of the popular brands are MORE ALIKE tHAN DIFFERENT.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

I’ve seen LSA ( I hate that term) be spread 6-8* on engines like that, application dependent. I’ve seen 104*, it makes a lot of power, and idles like shit. It’s a race cam, not a street/strip cam. I’ve seen 112... maybe it gives up some peak power but it idles and can drive to the corner ice cream shop. There is no one answer. Exactly what Jon is pointing out by literally pointing at something like Mike’s cam information sheet.

The catalogue cams by the big cam companies is throwing the dart down the center. They make good enough power for most but don’t make the things undriveable. They sell hundreds of them and they need to work for a wide range of applications. If you need something else, you’re going to be getting a custom camshaft anyway.
Last edited by hoffman900 on Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Bob
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

What Mike Jones has said generally fits..
The Controled induction calced result will be closer VS farther away than this method more than you'd like most of the time on these engines.

The Controled Induction equation calc method is better...
I agree. 100% Mike's Dad was very smart..
Last edited by F-BIRD'88 on Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I don't care how it idles.. I want it to go fast.. A bit faster than you.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:46 pm I don't care how it idles.. I want it to go fast.. A bit faster than you.
:roll:

Yeah, I’m done here. I’ll go back to laughing at this with several others behind the scenes.
-Bob
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

hoffman900 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:48 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:46 pm I don't care how it idles.. I want it to go fast.. A bit faster than you.
:roll:

Yeah, I’m done here. I’ll go back to laughing at this with several others behind the scenes.
Bye Bye ✌️
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:34 pm "Thats funny right there, I don't care who you are"

If you do this for a living then I AM THE GUY you will try to knock down and insult to no end . I AM THE GUY that you will NOT let me observe your dyno sessions.

I got no problem with this)

If I was you I would not let me observe EITHER
I am the guy that you watch run at the drag strip. And cuss under your breath at. ..
I am not your $$$ Competition, yet I am the guy you watch

I am the guy that you won't let your friend or yoUR CUSTOMER ... run for $$Money$$$...

THAT'S fUnNY!!!!...
You're probably the guy that oils the track at the starting line and keeps it going to the end of the track. While I have to wait an hour for cleanup and a crappy racing surface.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

That has never happened.. But keep up the retoric,.
It tells me all i need to know.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:33 pm
Dude : If you don't like the DV 128 formula method used as it was intended for.. ( This was discribed and stressed by DV over and over and over again) DON'T USE IT.!
umm read what you wrote and apply it to the first post
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:57 pm If you do not like the DV 128 method thats ok.

But you must prove it to convince me its wrong.
If you don't like the DV 128 method for what It is intended for,, You may not like this method either... Ghats ok.

But your car, your street supercharged engine and your budget does not care what you like. ....
It just wants a better cam choice.
the onus is one whomever says it can be manipulated for a FI application to demonstrate that it can be...
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

OK, this has run it's course.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44