454 BBC blocks

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

454 BBC blocks

Post by prairiehotrodder »

I have an older 2 piece seal 4 bolt main 454 block and a early 90's 4 bolt main 1 pc seal 454 block. Is there any advantage to either one over the other ? I'm told the newer block has better oiling system ?
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Re: 454 BBC blocks

Post by FC-Pilot »

In my opinion the oiling on the later block is better, but both are decent blocks to build a good street engine with. Often times the earlier blocks sonic better as the cylinders were a little thinner on the later blocks. The gen 5 had coolant passages through the deck that made cylinder head gasket sealing a little tricky with certain head gaskets. The later gen 6 fixed that.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

The early blocks often had trouble with misaligned lifter bores while the roller 90's blocks were indexed better from what I've been told.
Pro question poster.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

The gen 5-6 blocks have some different coolant passages when compared to the gen IV blocks.
The issue is the early heads some times leak near the valley area as the water passages are close to the edge of the block.
The other issue is there is only really 1 composition gasket that fits correctly as the gen IV gaskets allow water to go out of the end of the block back to the water pump and there is no exhaust port coolant passages in the early gasket causing higher operating temps.
The later blocks also have a better oil system compared to the gen IV blocks as well as better located lifter bores.
Some late blocks do not have a fuel pump boss for mechanical fuel pump.

The 1 piece rear seal blocks can use an adapter to put a 2 piece crank in them which makes rotating assemblies easier
to choose if a deal is available.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

ProPower engines wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:38 pm The gen 5-6 blocks have some different coolant passages when compared to the gen IV blocks.
The issue is the early heads some times leak near the valley area as the water passages are close to the edge of the block.
The other issue is there is only really 1 composition gasket that fits correctly as the gen IV gaskets allow water to go out of the end of the block back to the water pump and there is no exhaust port coolant passages in the early gasket causing higher operating temps.
The later blocks also have a better oil system compared to the gen IV blocks as well as better located lifter bores.

The 1 piece rear seal blocks can use an adapter to put a 2 piece crank in them which makes rotating assemblies easier
What would be the part number of the head gasket that works in this application? Thanks
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

GURU is only a name.
Adam
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

The marine/HP gasket is 1037.
They allow 95% of the early heads to fit the Gen V and VI blocks
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

ProPower engines wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:38 pm The gen 5-6 blocks have some different coolant passages when compared to the gen IV blocks.

what are the differences in the oil systems?
Pro question poster.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Bob Hollinshead wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:36 pmwhat are the differences in the oil systems?
The Mk IV oiled kinda-like a "Side-Oiler" 427 Ford--main oil gallery along the lower edge of the block. Goes from back of block all the way to the front, curved. Had a bunch of small pipe plugs that have to come out to properly clean those oil passages (often "forgotten") the best tool I've found for removing the stock plugs is a #3 Robertson (male square bit in a 3/8 drive bit socket to fit the female square wrenching surface in the factory plugs)

The Gen 5/6 moved that gallery up to the lifter area, I think.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Also, the oil feed to the mains is as such, the mark IV feeds toward the Cam and then turns to the mains. The gen 5/6 feed the mains first and theN to the cam. Yes, on the gen 5/6 the gallery that feeds the mains is up near the lifter valley similar to (but not identical to) a sbc.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

the newer block has a check valve right under the oil filter threaded insert and another check valve just to the side of it. I will not be running an oil cooler. Do these both need to be installed ? The motor had a oil cooler on it before or at least some type of oil filter extension or adapter.

EDIT : i think i found what i was looking for.

https://www.performanceboats.com/attach ... ntid=85242
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

prairiehotrodder wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:49 pm the newer block has a check valve right under the oil filter threaded insert and another check valve just to the side of it. I will not be running an oil cooler. Do these both need to be installed ? The motor had a oil cooler on it before or at least some type of oil filter extension or adapter.

EDIT : i think i found what i was looking for.

https://www.performanceboats.com/attach ... ntid=85242
The check valve that is in the path of the main oil feed I leave out. It was put there as a way to feed oil if the cooler was plugged but the hole is small and it is a restriction in the path of the oil heading to the mains.
There is 2 different bypass valve pressures available. I believe the highest is 25- 30 lbs opening pressure which is better then 3-7 lbs :D