We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

400 SBC build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7548
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:56 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: 400 SBC build

Post by F-BIRD'88 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:04 pm

Also if you have a late 350 roller block and a steel crank
consider building a low cr 350 supercharged street engine.
You cannot beat supercharged power on the street.
Discribe that 350 engine in more detail.
What is your performance goal on your Chevelle.?

rebelyell
Member
Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:46 am
Location: SOUTH CAROLINA

Re: 400 SBC build

Post by rebelyell » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:40 pm

Lotsa good suggestions-tips so far

WAG
Perhaps machinist already KNOWS full well what bore diameters truly are and has sonic checked ok as well .. :^o .. perhaps there're larger plans for that "scrap" you may be primed to leave behind. OTOH, maybe he's close kin / he relies on Your weekly biz. Dunno, just sayin'. trust but verify

rfoll
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2493
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: St. Helens, OR

Re: 400 SBC build

Post by rfoll » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:59 am

My observation of machinists in general is that they like to achieve perfection. Several of the non-automotive guys talked about jobs they had where the standards were millionths of an inch. The reality of automotive engines is that many of the careful clearances produced start going away, an abomination to the machinist's hard work. What may be unacceptable to the machinist may not matter at all to you. I'm amazed at what you can get away with under non-competition builds. All you have to is tear down a good running motor and find it to be totally junk inside. I have run several 400 engines with .005"+ bore clearance with no oil burning or noticeable piston slap noise. The difference is new rings and bearings as opposed to the worn out engine with the same clearances. Oil consumption was an accepted norm on most early internal combustion engines. The amount of oil rotary aircraft engines use is startling. We can't make a judgment on your blocks without seeing them, but good prep work on used bores can last a long time. It doesn't have to survive the 600 miles at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
So much to do, so little time...

tcb3274
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:10 am
Location:

Re: 400 SBC build

Post by tcb3274 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:48 pm

F-BIRD'88 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:04 pm
Also if you have a late 350 roller block and a steel crank
consider building a low cr 350 supercharged street engine.
You cannot beat supercharged power on the street.
Discribe that 350 engine in more detail.
What is your performance goal on your Chevelle.?
Its a zz4 short block with 10.2 to 1 compression.

Luanti OEM roller in it. 280/288 and 226/234 @ .050 for .530/.530 lift on a 108 lsa. Installed at 104 icl..

Heads are Brodix 180 Iron killers, no work to them. 2.02 valve. High Energy roller rockers.

RPM Air Gap intake with 650 Holley DP.

1 and 5/8" headers.

It ran a best 12.3 with a 1.6 60 foot time with a 4 speed.

Im not racing the 400 build. It will just be a cruiser with a 4 speed. Would like to have 475 horse to 500 horse with 500 ft lbs. 4 speed car.

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7548
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:56 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: 400 SBC build

Post by F-BIRD'88 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:24 pm

The 350 can be changed to be supercharger friendly by swapping pistons to deep D dish type cast hyper or forged to drop the compression to 8.5 or less. a -22cc or more 350 piston allows the The crank will likely need to be rebalanced.. Then lots of ways to go supercharged...
The .040" 400 block does not need absolute perfect bores to run great and make 500 hp..
Not convinced the.040" bores cannot be rejuvenated.

The 2 bolt block rear main cap can be swapped but will require align boring the saddles.. There is also a rear thrust machining operation that allows a better rear thrust bearing-seal.. Worth it..

12.3 1.6 60 ft . What is the MPH?

tcb3274
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:10 am
Location:

Re: 400 SBC build

Post by tcb3274 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:12 am

F-BIRD'88 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:24 pm
The 350 can be changed to be supercharger friendly by swapping pistons to deep D dish type cast hyper or forged to drop the compression to 8.5 or less. a -22cc or more 350 piston allows the The crank will likely need to be rebalanced.. Then lots of ways to go supercharged...
The .040" 400 block does not need absolute perfect bores to run great and make 500 hp..
Not convinced the.040" bores cannot be rejuvenated.

The 2 bolt block rear main cap can be swapped but will require align boring the saddles.. There is also a rear thrust machining operation that allows a better rear thrust bearing-seal.. Worth it..

12.3 1.6 60 ft . What is the MPH?
Seems like it was around 110 mph. It been around 13 to 14 years ago.

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7548
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:56 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: 400 SBC build

Post by F-BIRD'88 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:15 am

110 makes sense... If you get the power up to 500 bhp it should go 115.5 mph 11.70's +/-.

tcb3274
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:10 am
Location:

Re: 400 SBC build

Post by tcb3274 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:13 pm

Here is the plan for the street 400.

Looking to get 475 to 500 horse around 6000 rpms. 500 ft lbs of torque too.

93 octane build.

Using a 400 block
Eagle rotating assembly with cast crank, I beam rods, forged pistons with -16 dishes.
Considering a flat tappet cam with 285/285 and 235/235 @.050 for around .530/.530 lift on 1.6 rockers.
Brodix IK 200 heads with 2.02 valve
10 to 1 compression with a good quench.
Edelbrock RPM intake
750 Holley

Thoughts? Can I get to my goals?

cgarb
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1796
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:50 am
Location: Maryland

Re: 400 SBC build

Post by cgarb » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:37 pm

Sounds like it should run decent. Is that shelf grind camshaft? A good custom grind from reputable cam shop will probably give you a good boost in performance from that and with a flat tappet the investment isn't that much more.

tcb3274
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:10 am
Location:

Re: 400 SBC build

Post by tcb3274 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:41 pm

Yes, its just a street car.

Yes, its a Street Master series from Luanti.

I have thought about dealing with Mike Jones of Jones Cam Company.

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7548
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:56 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: 400 SBC build

Post by F-BIRD'88 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:51 pm

Not enough camshaft for 500 bhp on a 400sbc w ik200 heads

tcb3274
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:10 am
Location:

Re: 400 SBC build

Post by tcb3274 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:55 pm

F-BIRD'88 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:51 pm
Not enough camshaft for 500 bhp on a 400sbc w ik200 heads
How much is needed?

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7548
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:56 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: 400 SBC build

Post by F-BIRD'88 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:13 pm

tcb3274 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:55 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:51 pm
Not enough camshaft for 500 bhp on a 400sbc w ik200 heads
How much is needed?
Minimum hyd cam Comp Xe284H-10 cam
Can use 1.6 or 1.6/1.5 split rr
This is a nice street cam in a 400 4 speed car..

Better Comp 294S-10 solid magnum.
Summit solid oval cam CT108
Isky 201534 Both get even better w 1.6/1.5 split rr
Single plane or big dual plane.. 750 hp carb minimum
830-850 holley best.

Your hyd cam choice will certainly run nice but will be a bit south of 500 bhp .

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7548
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:56 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: 400 SBC build

Post by F-BIRD'88 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:40 pm

If you do want to get more serious and w some gears
(street strip racer) Isky 201547 + single plane (vic jr)
You will just exceed 500 bhp.. more if you lean on the IK200 heads for effect.

tcb3274
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:10 am
Location:

Re: 400 SBC build

Post by tcb3274 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:58 am

F-BIRD'88 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:13 pm
tcb3274 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:55 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:51 pm
Not enough camshaft for 500 bhp on a 400sbc w ik200 heads
How much is needed?
Minimum hyd cam Comp Xe284H-10 cam
Can use 1.6 or 1.6/1.5 split rr
This is a nice street cam in a 400 4 speed car..

Better Comp 294S-10 solid magnum.
Summit solid oval cam CT108
Isky 201534 Both get even better w 1.6/1.5 split rr
Single plane or big dual plane.. 750 hp carb minimum
830-850 holley best.

Your hyd cam choice will certainly run nice but will be a bit south of 500 bhp .


Ok. You seem to say install a solid flat tappet. Can I get there with hyd. flat tappet?

What if I switched to the make to Luanti and used these numbers.

295/295 245/245 @.050 .534/.534 with 1.5 on a 108/104

284/292 241/249@.050 .525/.546 with 1.5 on a 110/106

What is a big dual plane?

Post Reply