Cam LSA to move max torque?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Protech Racing
Cam LSA to move max torque?

Post by Protech Racing »

I run my dyno a lot for my SCCA cars. My max torque is near 4800 and the car's gear set drops the RPM to only 5200. My current LSA is 108. If I get this cam cut to 104 or 105 , would that move my max torque to 5100?
Does Cam King cut VW limited lift cams? Thanks,MM
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Re: Cam LSA to move max torque?

Post by mt-engines »

No.
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

from what I have been reading, you want to go the other way to move the torque peak up.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
Protech Racing

Post by Protech Racing »

Thanks. This cam is the 6th edition custom. Limited to .425 lift. About 266 @ 050. Right around 299* OTS. High ramp speed.
The off the shelf 110-111 LSA cams are down 5-8 HP to this one. This engine likes the timing events ahead about 3* . Trying it back 2-3* lost power but did move the reduced TQ up a few hundred.
Next sessions will include hydro lifters to pick up 10* OTS and the lash value of 012.,, and maybe reduce mechanical friction, less noise.
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

I have never built a VW, but can you advance the cam slightly? Sounds like you have been retarding it and it's been behaving pretty normal. I also have had some discussions with a good friend about seeing the addition of a little exhaust duration picking torque up. Maybe tighten exhaust lash a little leave intake to grinders specs, and see what it does....maybe both advance the cam and a little tighter on the exhaust?

I think that if you reduce intake lash though the cam will act bigger, and if I understand you correctly will be going the wrong way
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Have tried calling Webcam they do VW cams
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Protech Racing wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:10 pm I run my dyno a lot for my SCCA cars. My max torque is near 4800 and the car's gear set drops the RPM to only 5200. My current LSA is 108. If I get this cam cut to 104 or 105 , would that move my max torque to 5100?
Does Cam King cut VW limited lift cams? Thanks,MM
induction length and cross section have the biggest impact on peak torque. if you want it to happen higher, you need more duration for that tighter lobe sep.

whats your icl now?
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

1972ho wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:10 pm Have tried calling Webcam they do VW cams
I’m pretty sure Mike is using Webcam. A lot of people who run OHC bucket cans do. They’re cheap and they weld cams, which is a big part of it. Pretty sure they just sub out their designs though so they are just peicewising cams together based on their lobe catalogue.

What MT said. Keep in mind Mike is running a no porting, limited lift, compression class. So at some point he is up against a CSA wall.

Mike,

Mike Jones will design and cut anything, provided he can get a core. Not sure if he would have your lifter diameter as a shelf design and it would have to be a custom design.
-Bob
Protech Racing

Post by Protech Racing »

Do any of you run the desktop dyno and could try moving the centers?
266@ 050 , 298 off the seat, 108 LSA , 425 valve lift, IVO around 22BTC.
This cam runs best at 3-4 degrees advanced and poorly at 2degrees retarded.
The TQ is really good and I make competitive power as it is. I just know that 3 more # of torque at the bottom of the next gear pull will be 3-4 ft at the end of the straight.

Web cam cuts the cam based on my request and designs. I have plenty of oversize cores.
Thanks for all of your thoughts.