Valve seat rim sitting proud in chamber - Detonation risk?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Re: Valve seat rim sitting proud in chamber - Detonation risk?

Post by BCjohnny »

Before I'd invest any more time and money into that head I'd look for a better core

Granted, they may be a bit thin on the ground where you are, but it's not like it's some rare piece of exotica

Just because it 'can' be repaired doesn't always mean it makes any sense to ...... JMO
Nut124
Pro
Pro

Re: Valve seat rim sitting proud in chamber - Detonation risk?

Post by Nut124 »

BCjohnny wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:48 pm Before I'd invest any more time and money into that head I'd look for a better core

Granted, they may be a bit thin on the ground where you are, but it's not like it's some rare piece of exotica

Just because it 'can' be repaired doesn't always mean it makes any sense to ...... JMO
I have a new 2L head lined up for pick up tomorrow. It's supposed to be good, unmolested - we'll see.

The 2L head has a slightly bigger chamber, flows a bit better but I need more piston dome to maintain CR. Luckily I have the taller pistons in the attic.

I find it hard to find quality machine shops that are willing to take new, challenging work. Good ones are busy catering to their existing (racing and dealer) customers and pay little attention to one-off builders like me.