Carb too small?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Re: Carb too small?

Post by travis »

Tuner wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:08 pm How did this thread get this far with the carb type still unknown? Now it sounds like it might be a TQuad or QJet with the air door too tight..??
Edelbrock 650. Come on...as many dumb questions as I ask on here and you guys ain’t got my combo memorized yet? :lol:
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

MadBill wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:50 pm
travis wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:17 pm...
I’m going to try some secondary air valve adjustments, and some timing adjustments, and see if that makes any difference...
Forget everything I said above. I was operating under the ASSumption that this was a Holley carb. With an air valve to adjust, it clearly isn't... #-o
I know what you meant. I’ve given up on the Holley I have, for now.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Maybe a distribution problem. Try changing the position of the sec blades at WOT. Easy to do with AFB/AVS carbs.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

This is another example of the importance of giving "All" of the information about the deal being discussed. Mark H.
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

if it was a Holley , is where an additional emulsion hole may benefit
BigBro74
Expert
Expert

Post by BigBro74 »

On Race 2bbl holleys they can go way rich as the vacuum builds in the manifold in the upper rpms. To help bandaid this , one common tactic is to use a power valve that closes to try and flatten the fuel curve as the manifold vacuum rises- with the small carbs fuel just flows out from all the orifices in the carb as the air speed and vacuum get really high. Usually a 3.5-4.5" valve. I am not sure if you can dos this with rods on an Edelbrock or not.....never tried. I must have missed the size of the engine....
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

May be a aircleaner style shape issue Not crazy about flat base air cleaners.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If the eddy 650 avs2 carbs do tend to shift rich at top end it is ok with me for my purpose... 2x on a blower as I 'd rather a rich shift trend VS a lean shift... I can deal with that.
Good info. Travis
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Consider this.. On your truck whan bookiing it down the hiway at high speed s what allows good airflow thru your radiator to cool the engine is not the speed or the wind it is the relative pressure difference between behind the rad (underhood) VS in front of the rad.. Good for radiator air flow at speed thus cooling but BAD for carb and underhood air net density and carb afr and engine power.

May want to consider a Ram Air setup to pick up dense cool at at the front (bumper/grill) VS underhood.
Or a forward facing hood scoop and carb airbox.

Can be free 10+ hp.