intake choices for Vortec heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rfoll
Guru
Guru

intake choices for Vortec heads

Post by rfoll »

The harness on the race car is out of date, the slicks are all done, and the track probably won't open until July. I plan to run my 84 El Camino a few times just to have a little fun. I will make a baseline with the 350 in the car, but I have a 350 with forged flat tops and Vortec heads ready to go in. I want to use a spread bore intake on the Vortec heads, but I'm not willing to spend the $265 Edelbrock and other reputable manufactures wants for their manifolds. Recent searches have come up with Speedmaster, (Pro comp), and Professional Products. I'm not expecting to spin more than 5500 rpm, so fit becomes more important than flow. advice from anyone having used with either of these, or experience with another brand spread bore manifold would be much appreciated.
So much to do, so little time...
1980RS
Guru
Guru
Re: intake choices for Vortec heads

Post by 1980RS »

Just ran mid-11's with my 406 that had a GM RPM Performer type intake on it. So I am sure the crosswind intake that's a copy would work great on most Vortec engines.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I might be inclined to keep this engine in the car for a while. It gets cold here in the winter, so anything air gap is not going to work. This car is my daily driver.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

r,
You can run almost any Small Block manifold with the Vortec heads. All you have to do is redrill them for the "old" bolt pattern. The intake flange is not real thick so the best approach seems to be to drill and tap them for 3/8" fine thread and use studs instead of bolts. This is what the circle track guys were doing when the Vortec head fist showed up and there were not a lot of intakes available.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

OP
Have run PP Cyclone on street vortecs w/ a Quadrajet. Sounds like it should work for your use as well
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The crosswind vortec intake is good. The edelbrock air gap RPM and non airgap RPM vortec is a bit better.
It has a hot water under plenum heat passage for winter.

I have had both . Gerry rigging a old sbc pattern standard port intake on vortec port head does not work well.
Get a vortec intake...
Put a proper divided carb adapter on to run a qjet on the rpm intake.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The low rise performer/cyclone/speedmaster type dual plane vortec intakes with qJet flange are ok.. Can/may get a bit better with a proper Qjet (divided ) spacer.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I would check ebay for a generic intake, a lot of times warehouse brands will just slap their name on that stuff n mark it up.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I have the RPM manifold on two of my other daily usage vehicles with Vortec heads. I manufactured 4 hole spacers to adapt them for the Quadrajet carbs I use on all of my street vehicles. While this works OK, especially the part about the hot water passage under the manifold, I don't believe the late model El Camino has enough hood clearance. The spread bore requirement reduces the selection considerably. I'm really only finding the Speedmaster and Professional products that combine the inexpensive and spread bore. Money is an issue here, (we just bought a vacation home on the Nehalem River), and my real concern about the $100 cheaper manifolds is not about horsepower, but the fit. I have had recent problems with intake leakage and really don't have time for the hassle of dealing with warranty issues. They don't refund the $30 worth of gaskets you waste if the manifold is junk. I could not find any reviews on the Speedmaster manifold, so if any one has actually seen one I'm interested in their opinion. The revues on the Professional products manifold are all over the map. Thanks for the replies, Rick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

My brother Put a Speedmaster q-jet intake on his truck engine. I think it lost power over a brand name intake. The fit was decent enough. We used the non plastic gaskets and used sealer around ports and water. No leaks. I think the paper gaskets and sealer covers a multitude of sins. 😆

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins