2.5 V6 Freelander

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gn69z28
Pro
Pro
2.5 V6 Freelander

Post by gn69z28 »

I have a 2.5 V6 freelander engine that the customer tried to assemble at home. That didn't go well. He took it apart initially so I don't know how anything was when it was assembled. My question is about the timing belts. Everything I can find says there is an alignment pin that goes into the back of the block to lock the crank in position at top dead center. There is a dowel in the flexplate so it can only go on one way. With the alignment pin in and marks on front of engine the no. 1 piston is not at top dead center. It's about 1 inch down in the hole. This is the first time I've seen one of these engines. Is that the way it's supposed to be even though everything I read online says that's too dead center. Or am I missing something. Sorry for the long post. I'm not good at explaining things.
gn69z28
Pro
Pro
Re: 2.5 V6 Freelander

Post by gn69z28 »

One more thing. I'm wondering if this is the way land Rover designed it to keep the pistons away from the valves while doing the timing belts? Because no piston is at the top of the cylinder.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Re: 2.5 V6 Freelander

Post by BCjohnny »

gn69z28 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:48 pmMy question is about the timing belts. Everything I can find says there is an alignment pin that goes into the back of the block to lock the crank in position at top dead center.
Sorry can't help with specifics on this engine, but a lot of 'modern' engines aren't timed at tdc, sometimes at say 180* off

This saves running those thinly stemmed angled valves into the pistons when fine timing and tweaking the heads

So, trying to time it in at TDC, you'll probably tie yourself in knots ..... chances are there's a specific timing kit (for KV6s) that you'll need to buy, or imitate, anyway to make the job a breeze

Hope it helps