Top Guided Piston Pin Spacers? Who makes them?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Top Guided Piston Pin Spacers? Who makes them?

Post by PackardV8 »

piston guy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:48 pmThe lock "fragmenting" or inertia making it "saw" through the pin itself. Neither of which is good.
Agree, putting a spirolox in an application for which it was never designed could result in many unanticipated consequences.
However, given the miniscule weight, the inertial forces a spirolox could generate are pretty small and I just had to shorten some piston pins. Even with a industrial CNC lathe and the best tool inserts money can buy, it was a difficult operation. I'd bet a bunch the spirolox aren't going to saw through a piston pin.
Also agree, I'm not going to use them instead of spacers.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

I have seen fragments of broken Spirolocks saw through piston rings on both sides of a piston since it was able to go to the other side through the hole in the pin. The "band" below the pin kept it captive and it stayed there "hammering" its way around until the engine began smoking. Inertia at 8,000 rpm makes the fragment "heavy" enough to do serious damage.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

I thought that the big advantages to piston guided was the short very stiff, very light pin along with very stiff highly reinforced piston design.

Adding spacers doesn’t seem to take advantage of these benefits....
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

stealth wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:38 pm I thought that the big advantages to piston guided was the short very stiff, very light pin along with very stiff highly reinforced piston design.

Adding spacers doesn’t seem to take advantage of these benefits....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

"I have never used or worked on an engine made with guided pin spacers. I never understood the reason or advantage for using them. Could some of the high end engine builders explain to me why they are sometimes used?"

I am guessing that you have never had experiences with 2,000+ horsepower engines where the crankshaft actually gets shorter from deflection at higher RPM.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Who makes them...
Guys who have a lathe. 8)