We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

Early prostock iron heads.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Steve.k
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Early prostock iron heads.

Post by Steve.k » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:22 pm

That could be Stan. I would imagine most the cams ground then were close. I know Paul said they had a terrible time with valves breaking. They were using the factory ford valve to start. Its apparent by repair work on head. He said trw sent him ti valves to try. They switched to those and life was a lot better.

bob460

Post by bob460 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:24 pm

Steve.k wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:22 pm
That could be Stan. I would imagine most the cams ground then were close. I know Paul said they had a terrible time with valves breaking. They were using the factory ford valve to start. Its apparent by repair work on head. He said trw sent him ti valves to try. They switched to those and life was a lot better.
I thought you might like this Steve from Australia........click on pic and look at some cool old prostock parts pics that were for sale recently.

Steve.k
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Steve.k » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:31 pm

Wow very cool Bob460 thanks !!

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:18 am

The heads I would like to see used or somewhat copied are the "Factory" Clevelands which used the criss-crossed pushrods. Just when they came out, the rules changed so, they never got much fanfare.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

piston guy
Expert
Expert

Post by piston guy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:39 am

Randy,
I ran a criss cross pushrod engine originally built by Mark DeGroff of Valley Head service. Mark custom made "rocker guides" ( not plates) because of the unique nature of the "pinched" rockers. He also modified the block for the additional head bolts needed ( 9x7/16ths +5 1/2") Crower ground the cam and it wasn't "perfect". I found two other sets over the years and there is a "long block" on display in a museum in one of the Carolinas. The head was a collaberation between Smokey Yunick and Al Buckmaster. According to Smokey it was "the good port" from a BB Chevy fitted into a Cleveland head. The head was good for 2hp/ci in NA dorm. I sold it to a Pantera guy and lost track of it.

piston guy
Expert
Expert

Post by piston guy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:46 am

"In the day" GK( General Kinetics) had the field covered on cams with the "321D" profile and it's (IIRC) .472 lobe lift. Glidden didn't get along with Tewles (GK) so he went with Comp Cams to develop his own stuff.

Steve.k
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Steve.k » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:14 pm

I’ve seen the criss cross setup and it looked like severe angles in pics. Did they have trouble staying together?