Going on a diet....the block that is.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

The Iron Icon
Going on a diet....the block that is.

Post by The Iron Icon »

Hey guys, finally getting back to working on my own car (66 mustang)again after a long hiatus from personal projects. Was wondering if anyone could share what they did to lighten up there 8.2 blocks. I have a rough idea where I'm taking some meat off but wanted to try to get the most I can with little to no strength lost. Hopping for 15-20 pounds off. The block I'm using is one of the older blocks before ford took all the meat out around mains.
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro
Re: Going on a diet....the block that is.

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

I'm far from an authority but if you are talking about a production 302, 289 etc. then I cant see how that would be a good idea. Those blocks are marginal at best. Even the early ones. Lot of safer ways to achieve 15-20 pounds of weight savings IMO.I'd be interested to hear what some of the experts think.
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
The Iron Icon

Post by The Iron Icon »

Only thing I've looked at on it is the bell housing area. The problem with them cracking down the middle might not be an issue with the blocks I'm using. Sadly I can't think of anyway to lower my weight anymore other than me go on diet.

I have the car well under 2500 with full glass(the one thing I don't want to change)
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Aluminum block??? :o
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

They say 100lb is worth 1 tenth...........so your 15-20lb is pointless............simply just up the hp and leave the block alone.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Not sure you'll easily get 15 lb out of a SBF, IIRC it was one of the first production blocks to have all the 'excess' weight designed out of it

I've detailed a handful and you can lose a few pounds, at best, but then run into the law of diminishing returns

If you're determined, search 'Bridgeport diet engine blocks' for some ideas, although I think it mostly applies to SBCs
The Iron Icon

Post by The Iron Icon »

englertracing wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:37 am Aluminum block??? :o
I wish, but not in the budget sadly, I might have to go back to the drawing board on how to loose some extra wieght. Already lost weight on car with the oddest of things.