BRODIX 5" BORE SPACE BLOCK QUESTIONS

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

garym
BRODIX 5" BORE SPACE BLOCK QUESTIONS

Post by garym »

A few months ago I asked if anyone had any pics of how the babbit cam bearings were retained in the cam tunnel of the 5 in. bore space block? Planning on doing a 738 or 761 engine and have not decided on babbit 60 mm or 55mm roller cam bearings.A few pics would be great along with thoughts on babbit vs roller cam bearings.This is a GREAT forum and I hope to get a few pics as well as some input on what type of cam bearing would be best. THANKS garym
ratsnotmice
Re: BRODIX 5" BORE SPACE BLOCK QUESTIONS

Post by ratsnotmice »

Based on personal experience, cam bearing retention will not be an issue in this block under normal operating conditions. The press fit nature of the bearings is sufficient, no other method is required.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

Brodix uses a set screw to retain the babbit bearings. Roller bearings are retained with spiral lock rings. I have the standard bore space block and run 55mm roller bearings. My head guy wants to go to a 60mm cam, but I'll change to babbit bearings when I do. The OD of the 55mm roller and 60mm babbit are the same, but the blocks are different. If you order the block set up for roller bearings, there will be no oil feed holes for the cam bearings, as they use splash oil only and it will be grooved for the retainers and include them. If you go the babbit option, it will have the oil holes and set screws required to retain the bearings......
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
ratsnotmice

Post by ratsnotmice »

The Brodix 5-inch bore space block using 60mm babbit does not use a set screw. Even the standard spacing block can be used without the set screws, the bearing will not move. But using them can't hurt either.