Atlas engine family.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Atlas engine family.

Post by pdq67 »

Anybody ever use any of them in an engine swap?

I want to say, 4, 5, and 6-banger DOHC engines.

Personally I would like old school everything to use them if possible to do.

A carb/carbs, dizzy, split exhaust manifolds, etc, etc...

pdq67
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Atlas engine family.

Post by Schurkey »

Wifey drives an '03 Trailblazer. I think the thing's got VERY adequate power, for a six-popper. About a quarter-million miles on it; mostly trouble-free; although I think I'm seeing some decline in that aspect.

Bought a second "parts car"; so I've got a six-popper (4.2L) and driveline that's begging me for a lightweight body.

There's about a thousand Jaguar sedans that would get a MAJOR upgrade by swapping out the 1950s Jag six popper and non-overdrive automatic for the Atlas/4L60E combo; and they wouldn't even have to change the "4.2" emblem on the back.

No place to install a distributor that I'm aware of. You'd have to cast a new timing cover, or use a belt-drive like the forward-mounted distributor kits for some race engines.

The exhaust manifold is pretty swoopy as-is. I can't get the photo to post.
http://hbassociates.us/Trailblazer_Exha ... ld_003.jpg
High failure rate due to cracking, though. Dorman makes a "kit" with a manifold, heat shield, donut, and some hardware for low money. Chinese, of course. The manifold is going to need to be planed before you install it. And the Dorman heat shield is a piece of crap.