General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

turbo camino
Expert
Expert
Re: "L98 valve spacing"

Post by turbo camino »

bill jones: Thank you!

enigma57: Does AFR sell any heads for less money than the free '113s I already own?
DON'T PANIC
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

turbo camino wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:38 am bill jones: Thank you!

enigma57: Does AFR sell any heads for less money than the free '113s I already own?
They have the angle plug enforcer heads, 64cc chambers, 195 ish runners as cast. For 500 per head when you consider all the work, valves are 8MM, good springs.. a grand for a set looks pretty good when compared to reworking the 113 heads. Or step up to the eliminator heads. Your 113 heads while free, will not be cheap if gone through right. Performance isn't cheap. Just about any 180 runner head from dart, afr, etc or others will perform better right out of the box than the 113's would after spending a grand porting, replacing seats, valves etc
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

turbo camino wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:38 am bill jones: Thank you!

Hi, turbo camino! Well, Bill Chase pretty much said what I was going to say. I would say that the determining factor would be what you want the end product to be and how much it would take to bring your old castings to that point (if possible) versus how much a new set of heads that incorporate the features you are looking for would cost.

The exception would be if you had a numbers matching engine block and wanted to modify a set of original cast-iron power pack or fuelie heads for more performance whilst retaining an original outward appearance. But that doesn't seem to be the case here, so as far as I am aware, its just a choice of what you want when done versus how much it costs to get there. Port and rework old castings or buy what you want new and sell the old heads.

The L98 heads were used by GMPP on their ZZ3 and ZZ4 crate engines and their '603' sealed circle track crate engines. Randy Brzezinski reworks them for the '603' circle track engines but there is only so much you can do with them, really......

https://www.castheads.com/cylinder-head ... ate-motor/

Which ever way you go, good luck with your build,

Harry
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I'll add that the alum L98 heads went thru a few reversions from 128 to 113 and maybe a few for the ZZ crate???

Also if you look at the chamber I think the alum L98 heads were kinda vortec phase 1, LT1 heads phase two and then of course vortecs with better runners. I use to have pics of all three to compare but can't find them atm
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

If I remember correctly, the L98 valve spacing is 0/40. The intake valve is in the stock location, but the exhaust valve is moved over .040" to provide space for a larger intake valve.
Joe Facciano
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

The original question was "what does 'L98 valve spacing' mean?", not "what's the best value in SBC cylinder heads these days?"

It's maybe a confusing coincidence that I do already own a set of '113 heads, but these happen to be in good shape, on a running engine, not planning to do any more work on them or using them on a new build of anything.
DON'T PANIC
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

My apologies...... Completely misunderstood your question, turbo camino. That would be me in the middle......

HB
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

As to the heads being weak, I know my one set is only a single data point, but they survived a 275 shot (and the trans output shaft didn't!) back in the day and they haven't had to be removed since it was put together from spare parts, more than 20 years ago now.

I got the bare castings for I think $100, put good chrome stem single groove PEP valves in 'em, did the work myself after hours, haven't had any problems with them to date. If I had zero SBC heads and needed some I certainly wouldn't pick these to start fresh with today... unless it was a similar deal like back then, they were nearly free and I could do the work myself.
DON'T PANIC