Ford TFI coils...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Ford TFI coils...

Post by Krooser »

I have an MSD Pro Billet dizzy for my Mopar race engine.

I've run Ford TFI coils on certain projects over the years with good results. I'm wondering if my old standby a Standard "Blue Streak" coil would be a good choice or is there something better? I'm not one to get excited about advertising hype. Would an MSD or Accel coil be any better? I'll be using an MSD 6T box.

The Blue Sreaks can be had for $25.00 trade price... the others as high as $80.00.

I try to stay away from ChiCom ignition parts but sometimes it isn't possible. Likely the MSD is Chinese but the Blue Streak is made in Poland... maybe I can get a family discount since my grandparents all came from that area (but my Dad was a proud Prussian!)?

I've even used junkyard Ford coils that have been really good!
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Ford TFI coils...

Post by BOOT »

Brand new MSD TFI coil went out on me after bout 40 miles. I've used a Mallory brand one w/o issue and I like the mount/heat-sink it came with. You can also get a speedmaster(procomp) coil with that style alum mount but I don't really trust it.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

I'd expect the "Ford" coil to be just fine.

Like most other electrical parts, the resistance/impedance, capacitance and inductance are the important considerations. Resistance is easy to measure, the others not so much, at least with typical "automotive" meters. Resistance and inductance are important for ignition coils. I'm not sure that capacitance is a major factor.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Why don't you contact MSD & see what coil they recommend? If the Blue Streak is a canister coil, I'll bet they won't recommend it for optimum spark performance.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Geoff2 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:01 am Why don't you contact MSD & see what coil they recommend? If the Blue Streak is a canister coil, I'll bet they won't recommend it for optimum spark performance.
Blue Steak is a TFI replacement. I'm a bit leery of some of the MSD parts. Had an isue a few years ago with a Streetfire dizzy... returned it for a Pro Billet and fixed the problem.

Just a sample of what's available...
https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1988/ ... _coil.html
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Krooser wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:49 pm I have an MSD Pro Billet dizzy for my Mopar race engine.

I've run Ford TFI coils on certain projects over the years with good results. I'm wondering if my old standby a Standard "Blue Streak" coil would be a good choice or is there something better? I'm not one to get excited about advertising hype. Would an MSD or Accel coil be any better? I'll be using an MSD 6T box.

The Blue Sreaks can be had for $25.00 trade price... the others as high as $80.00.

I try to stay away from ChiCom ignition parts but sometimes it isn't possible. Likely the MSD is Chinese but the Blue Streak is made in Poland... maybe I can get a family discount since my grandparents all came from that area (but my Dad was a proud Prussian!)?

I've even used junkyard Ford coils that have been really good!
There may be something better but, unless it has actually been tried in that application it can not be possitively known.
So, that replacement coil, (probably inductive), for a Ford TFI will surely work until you try something else.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.