Homemade Engine Dyno

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

brentry
Re: Homemade Engine Dyno

Post by brentry »

Watch slow mo youtube videos of cd spining at extreme rpm. They eventually shatter
brentry

Post by brentry »

Corse with a good metalurgist and different kind of heat treatment available. Anything is probably possible now days. Someone still has to twist throttle and find out.
jcisworthy
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jcisworthy »

Sorry I was absent on replying to this. I have been so busy I honestly forgot I even posted it.

This link is what got me thinking about the subject

BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

exhaustgases wrote:What is the reasoning for sweep? I can see how it applies to drag racing.
Most forms of 'competitive' engine testing, and not just 'drag' racing, have moved over to 'sweep' or gain testing, where there exists the capability, to the best of my knowledge

As Larry Widmer, amongst others, espoused decades ago it's the engines ability to gain rpm, or regain it after a shift, that was far more important than pure bhp & torque figures alone
I don't think you will see any sort of sweep on a large industrial engine dyno system, as well as the previously mentioned WW2 Aircraft engine dyno systems, it is a huge no no to sweep the rpms of a large aircraft recip engine.
I mostly agree, and am not quite sure where you got the idea I was suggesting otherwise ...... maybe crossed wires
jcisworthy
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jcisworthy »

Here is a link with more explanation

Big Speed
Pro
Pro

Post by Big Speed »

For the OP.We have almost all components to assemble a engine dyno.Have a Superflow 7100 tower and docking cart,Have SF 833 waterbrake ,Have SF901 console .was operational til we changed Data aq to Dyno Mite.Have extra 901 console electronics.Also SF902 sensor box.You would need to get new data AQ or get 901 parts for tower.also no fuel system or water pumps.This may be a candidate for Performance Trends Data Aq .Looking for 7500$ for this pkg.Bill C. 973-742-4972 11am till 7pm est.
Ceralli Competition Engines & Checkered Flag Machine
Racing engines , CNC head porting and induction development
http://www.checkeredflagmachine.net/