E85 smell?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Expert
Expert
E85 smell?

Post by econo racer »

I use E85 fuel because I can afford it. I also like how clean it keeps my pistons and valves. Smell does not bother me. I don;t start my car in my garage. Out doors 99 out of a 100 times. I told a friend that I could not afford to race at $12 a gallon race fuel so thats out. Also it burns my eyes and makes it hard to breath for me. I have weak lungs and can not race sometimes. My friend told me that the E85 was bad because after it burns that you are smelling fulmalgiside. Is he right? :shock:
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: E85 smell?

Post by Kevin Johnson »

econo racer wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:30 am I use E85 fuel because I can afford it. I also like how clean it keeps my pistons and valves. Smell does not bother me. I don;t start my car in my garage. Out doors 99 out of a 100 times. I told a friend that I could not afford to race at $12 a gallon race fuel so thats out. Also it burns my eyes and makes it hard to breath for me. I have weak lungs and can not race sometimes. My friend told me that the E85 was bad because after it burns that you are smelling fulmalgiside. Is he right? :shock:
https://cfpub.epa.gov/si/si_public_reco ... TIMSType=&

https://cfpub.epa.gov/si/si_public_file ... &Lab=NRMRL

Ask your friend what particular damaging byproduct he is thinking of -- the download has an extensive list.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Gives you cause to make sure your car is in tune and has a full exhaust system that exits at the rear bumper, not under the car. And don't run ANY CAR in a garage.
Lots of stuff comes out the tail pipe especially on cold start and or if poor tune/bad ignition.
Carbon Monoxide is the biggy.... Any fuel that contains any amount of lead is a no no too, if you value your health.
None of the exhaust emissions in the exhaust of gasoline or ethanol or E85 or or methanol combustion are good for you.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:34 am .... Any fuel that contains any amount of lead is a no no too, if you value your health.
http://www.cleanairchoice.org/pdf/Ethanol%20Specs.pdf

Thank goodness lead is not allowed. Oh wait.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

econo racer wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:30 am I use E85 fuel because I can afford it. I also like how clean it keeps my pistons and valves. Smell does not bother me. I don;t start my car in my garage. Out doors 99 out of a 100 times. I told a friend that I could not afford to race at $12 a gallon race fuel so thats out. Also it burns my eyes and makes it hard to breath for me. I have weak lungs and can not race sometimes. My friend told me that the E85 was bad because after it burns that you are smelling fulmalgiside. Is he right? :shock:
Running E85 from the pump is a hit and miss deal for tuning anyway. If you get it by the barrel it is more consistent.
For that matter we use E100 and mix gas to suit because of rules on fuel but regardless of which fuel you choose they
both will damage your lungs if you breath in fumes.
As mentioned the exhaust system is a much over looked part of the chassis when it comes to lower class racing and some guys are content to not seal the interior well either making it a potentially deadly situation.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

ProPower engines wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:28 am ...
As mentioned the exhaust system is a much over looked part of the chassis when it comes to lower class racing and some guys are content to not seal the interior well either making it a potentially deadly situation.
The house that I first lived in in California had a murder-suicide in it. My Father discovered the gas heating intake and vent was improperly constructed and reported this to the Sheriff prior to moving in. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be sinister and subtle -- don't take it lightly.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

No BS there Carbon Monoxide can be the deadliest killer and you won't even know it happened. [-X
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Ethyl alcohol (ethanol), is a very harmful fuel to use in any engine without a catalytic converter.
The byproduct of partial combustion is acetaldehyde, a known cancer causing agent.

If it is not possible to mount a cat, then the engine should be run as lean as possible, and never in a closed space.

Other harmful fuel components include the aromatics such as toluene and xylene; the partial combustion by products of which is benzene.

Modern pump gas is also harmful to use without a catalytic converter. The exhaust stream consists of hundreds of harmful components.

A good quality race gas is much less dangerous than pump gas.
BobbyB
Pro
Pro

Post by BobbyB »

David Redszus wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:17 pm
Ethyl alcohol (ethanol), is a very harmful fuel to use in any engine without a catalytic converter.
The byproduct of partial combustion is acetaldehyde, a known cancer causing agent.

If it is not possible to mount a cat, then the engine should be run as lean as possible, and never in a closed space.

Other harmful fuel components include the aromatics such as toluene and xylene; the partial combustion by products of which is benzene.

Modern pump gas is also harmful to use without a catalytic converter. The exhaust stream consists of hundreds of harmful components.

A good quality race gas is much less dangerous than pump gas.
Is nonethanol 93 pump gas much safer?
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Back years ago when THEY were pushing gasohol, I was putting it in my corn-popper and I swear, the dammed stuff smelt like paint thinner.

Only that one time though?

pdq67
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

pdq67 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:58 pm Back years ago when THEY were pushing gasohol, I was putting it in my corn-popper and I swear, the dammed stuff smelt like paint thinner.

Only that one time though?

pdq67

E85 is Gasohol by definition as its 15% gasoline 85% Ethel alcohol
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I think at that time, I was pumping E10??

Stuff smelt terrible!

I have never burned any E85 that I know of?

pdq67
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:38 am
ProPower engines wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:28 am ...
The house that I first lived in in California had a murder-suicide in it. My Father discovered the gas heating intake and vent was improperly constructed and reported this to the Sheriff prior to moving in. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be sinister and subtle -- don't take it lightly.
My daughter is a clinical pharmacist. One study that I remember reading was one where furnace leaks caused a steady CO exposure to inhabitants and increased the risk of domestic violence because of neurological changes. The takeaway was that the neurological effects were highly variable and the recovery period after removing the source of CO could take up to a year.

Make sure your house has a functioning CO detector.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I may be wrong, but I think electromagneto(Sp?) radiation from high tension power lines may affect us also.

pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

If you are/were tempted to use E85 as a hand-sanitizer base remember that transdermal delivery is a real thing.

It's not just the lungs.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 8X14003524