Mr Fueling.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Mr Fueling.

Post by pdq67 »

Did the Quad-4 ever used in production vehicles?

Or was it just a one-off race engine?

pdq67
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

pdq67 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:11 pm Did the Quad-4 ever used in production vehicles?

The Quad-4 was a production engine for Oldsmobile.
The Aerotech Quad-4 was based off the production engine.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

I have seen a lot of them in wrecking yards, the intake looks like a header.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Paul Kane

Post by Paul Kane »

CamKing wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:47 pm
Paul Kane wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:46 am Sidebar: we have the 1200 HP Feuling Quad 4 in our shop at the moment, the one out of the Feuling Streamliner that set the records. Looking to sell it if anyone’s interested.
If it's the engine that set the closed course record, the cam specs should be 276/268 @.050", and .564"/.484" Lobe Lift.
Very good to know. We won't be tinkering with the engine...but it does remain just as acquired from the Feuling shop.
We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane

Post by Paul Kane »

pdq67 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:11 pm Did the Quad-4 ever used in production vehicles?

pdq67
The production versions and race versions are so different in their appearances that some people might not think they're related at all.

And within the racing engines themselves there were changes made to each succeeding one, as deemed from what was learned with the design prior to the next one to be built..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I'd forgotten that Jon Kasse wasn't the first to route one cylinder's twin exhaust ports to different collectors. Also there appear to be anti-reversion bulges in the primaries. :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

MadBill wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:14 pm I'd forgotten that Jon Kasse wasn't the first to route one cylinder's twin exhaust ports to different collectors. Also there appear to be anti-reversion bulges in the primaries. :-k
Jon got the idea from looking at Rotax flat track exhausts. They have two ports for one cylinder off the head... predates Jim Fueling too. Some systems using that head don't even combine them. Some Moto3 manufacturers were playing with that too (KTM in particular) a few years ago.

Jim patented the A/R chamber, though I believe it has run out. Commercially, you could only have bought them from Hytech as I think he had the license.

He seemed like a very intelligent guy. Seemed like a bit of the self promoter too, but that's what it takes to stay in business and make a living. Died too young for sure.
-Bob
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

pdq67
Yes, production engine in B-O-P N and W platforms. And in service, we'd see them with blown head gaskets.
When we were running NHRA SS, we went to the World Finals one year and a Stock Eliminator team showed up. "Cadillac Motorsports," or something like that. They brought a Cimmaron (remember those?) that had a Quad-4 installed. When I called them on it and said, "Nope, it never came with that, you're lucky I'm not in your class...", the guy got all shifty eyed and realized the gig was up.
JohnP
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnP »

DAIMLERCHRYSLER AG v. Feuling Patent lawsuit:
https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/di ... 4/2464973/

He died before this was settled.

1) Ford paid him $2M, then he tried to save on filing fees by claiming small entity status.
2) Failed to disclose earlier three valve designs by Batten and Honda
Thinking is hard work.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

JohnP wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:12 am DAIMLERCHRYSLER AG v. Feuling Patent lawsuit:
https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/di ... 4/2464973/

He died before this was settled.

1) Ford paid him $2M, then he tried to save on filing fees by claiming small entity status.
2) Failed to disclose earlier three valve designs by Batten and Honda
Ouch. Play with the big boys, and you better have your ducks in a row. I bet there was some unhappy people in Ford with those disclosures.
-Bob