Post by 77cruiser »

Another ProComp name change?
Jim
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Re: DNA Motoring aluminum SBC heads.

Post by Ericnova »

That's the better of the import head castings, known by most as the ProHeader casting. Same casting AFR is using for their new as-cast head called the "Enforcer"., they're just putting their 8mm stem valve package in it.

There are some custom head porting guys on this board using it for their economy race head.

You can find it $40/ea cheaper over on Ebay, with free shipping.
You can get it with either straight spark plug or angle plug.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-CHEVY-SMAL ... Swb2JbovTf
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

They are only cheap on initial purchase. More often than not, they need to be completely reworked. Seats not cut properly or concentric, valves not ground properly, super cheap parts if buying assembled, etc......

It's not uncommon to spend as much getting those heads usable as it is just buying a quality set to begin with from a reputable builder. I wouldn't buy anything like that off amazon, I'd get it straight from a builder. It's going to go to him 99.9% of the time to get fixed anyway, might as well just pony up right away and save yourself the headache.

They can be made into decent heads, and are on a regular basis. But if you think you'll be getting quality stuff at that price that you can just bolt on and go, you're in for a big surprise.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Coloradoracer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:12 am They are only cheap on initial purchase. More often than not, they need to be completely reworked. Seats not cut properly or concentric, valves not ground properly, super cheap parts if buying assembled, etc......

It's not uncommon to spend as much getting those heads usable as it is just buying a quality set to begin with from a reputable builder. I wouldn't buy anything like that off amazon, I'd get it straight from a builder. It's going to go to him 99.9% of the time to get fixed anyway, might as well just pony up right away and save yourself the headache.

They can be made into decent heads, and are on a regular basis. But if you think you'll be getting quality stuff at that price that you can just bolt on and go, you're in for a big surprise.
Kind of reinforces the point that most heads out there, even good ones, are just cheap castings, regardless of origin, with decent machine work.
-Bob
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

hoffman900 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:31 am
Coloradoracer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:12 am They are only cheap on initial purchase. More often than not, they need to be completely reworked. Seats not cut properly or concentric, valves not ground properly, super cheap parts if buying assembled, etc......

Kind of reinforces the point that most heads out there, even good ones, are just cheap castings, regardless of origin, with decent machine work.

Yep. The difference is in the quality of the casting, and most importantly, the quality of the work done to prepare it for use. There are some castings though that are just junk, and even in the hands of a good head guy, will still be nothing but junk.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

All I can add is there are some newly released imports out there that they got the heat treat right and are using a copper waffer seat ring.

They look like the other, but are different.

Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I got a few videos of ebay heads and a set of BPE. I just barrowed a Procomp to compare quick when I get a chance.

DNA motoring set I have

Another set of ebay

Some BPE I got off ebay

BPE replacement head

Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:55 am All I can add is there are some newly released imports out there that they got the heat treat right and are using a copper waffer seat ring.
I been meaning to ask since your post on FB, I notice the part below the seat was darker on the one head is that the copper wafer?
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Ericnova wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:47 am That's the better of the import head castings, known by most as the ProHeader casting. Same casting AFR is using for their new as-cast head called the "Enforcer"., they're just putting their 8mm stem valve package in it.

There are some custom head porting guys on this board using it for their economy race head.

Ericnova,

Can they be bought that use stock SBC valves and straight sparkplugs?

If so, please post back the place selling them as well as a PN because I think I will buy a pair just to have with all my other parts.

Thanks for all your trouble!

pdq67
bobmc

Post by bobmc »

if one head has better materials than the others, why don't they advertise that?
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

AGAIN!!

Ericnova,

If so, please post back the place e-mail address selling them as well as a PN because I think I will buy a pair just to have with all my other parts.

pdq67

PS, I am not good at this crap and my computer is way slow being so old is all.
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

pdq67 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:51 pm
Ericnova wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:47 am That's the better of the import head castings, known by most as the ProHeader casting. Same casting AFR is using for their new as-cast head called the "Enforcer"., they're just putting their 8mm stem valve package in it.

Ericnova,

If so, please post back the place selling them as well as a PN because I think I will buy a pair just to have with all my other parts.

pdq67
I did, the link is in Post #3. That's a 11/32" valvestem, straight plug head. Standard valvetrain location. 2.02"/1.6" valve seats as delivered.
Like almost all aftermarket aluminum heads though, then need a +.100" longer valve stem if your going to get a decent spring installed height.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Ericnova,

I just e-mailed my Son and asked him to buy a pair of them for me.

I will put them with all my other new bunch of parts for later..

Thanks for your help.

pdq67

Hope I haven't double posted???