Ford 2.3 Rebuild, Boat

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

HDBD
Expert
Expert

Ford 2.3 Rebuild, Boat

Post by HDBD »

Need some help with this build. Going back essentially stock. Using Silvolite 1163 pistons with compression height 1.578. Might be a few thousandths less than stock but measuring the original pistons they are .020 up from that. I don't understand that. Ford spec is 1.583
My questions:
Were the OMC marine 2.3 engines different, higher compression?
What compression can I get away with? I can mill as needed. So looking for suggestions on head dimension CC, head gasket thickness, and deck height.
Is a cam change from stock worth the trouble and cost, just a bolt in with stock valve train?
Thanks in advance.
NebrRex

Re: Ford 2.3 Rebuild, Boat

Post by NebrRex »

I have no experience with a marine version of the 2.3L .
But my DD is a 94 Ranger w/2.3L. Stock bottom end, milled
and ported head with oversize intake valve, reground cam,
custom header, modified intake and larger injectors. Valve
lift is limited to not much more than .400 without machining
the valve guides, As far as I know all 2.3L had flat top pistons
except for the TurboCoupe. The two stock roller cams I checked
with a degree wheel had almost identical timing specs to the
5.0 HO, Valve lift is only .399. My cam has been reground to
give the same lift as the HO.

Does you engine have 1 or 2 spark plugs per cylinder?
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Almost all of the stock piston manufacturers do that for some reason. The CH is never the same as a stock piston. I guess they are figuring you will be boring the engine, resurfacing the head and maybe the block so they make up for it by cutting the compression height :(

If you do some searching in other brands there might be one that is a little taller. I always check before ordering. Zollner used to be the only one that left the compression hgt stock but they are long gone unless you can find new old stock on ebay. Heck, you might even be able to find NOS Ford ones, have you checked ?
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

Well I mocked it up and without any milling I am at an honest 9.0:1. Chambers are ~ 68.4cc, deck height -.025 and piston reliefs are -3cc. I understand the lowering of the CH to compensate for an overbore and not blowing the compression up. I will use a .041 HG and leave everything else alone, settle right at 9.0:1. So squish is .066 or thereabouts. Wish I could run a little more compression but don't have enough experience with the 2.3 to know if with the stock cam it will take it in boat duty.