Moderator: Team

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

motor mounts

Post by Belgian1979 »

Hi Guys,

Regarding my corvette 1979
I just passed tech inspection and they said that my motor mounts/transmission mounts need replacing. I don't see anything but I'll have to comply.
Transmission mounts is not a problem, but I'm wondering if the motor mounts can be taken out without taking the motor out. This is the first time I have to do this with the motor in the car.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Re: motor mounts

Post by rebelyell »

yes, one at a time
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

The inspector is probably following the discussion and thinks the drainage angle needs improving. :wink:
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

One by one,..do you mean I have to tilt the engine sideways in that case ?
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:22 pm The inspector is probably following the discussion and thinks the drainage angle needs improving. :wink:
I hope he does, then I have a couple of words for him...that would probably get me banned here.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Take the long bolt out of one side, then use a floor jack and a block of wood to jack up the engine from the oil pan sump. Once the engine is high enough to clear the motor mount, remove the rest of the motor mount bolts and install the new one.

At first glance it sounds like the guy might be a prick, but if the rubber is broken, it could allow the engine to torque up and come through the hood.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Well, when I got home I checked them all out. I know the transmount is perfectly ok as I had to do clutch work last year and barely drove the car.
When rocking the engine it would seem rock solid connected to the frame. They test it on a suspension test bench that tries to move the wheels outward and such. Not sure if during that session they saw something. We cannot stay with our cars during the tests due to corona :(
Anyway the guy only had problems with my engine setup and the fact that I had a FI ITB's on there, had to much power and so on. I'm not going in detail as it will be a long story about rules and conformity attestations and such, but in principle they cannot check an oldtimer for conformity to what the car was when new. So, it seems the prick just looked for something to make it fail the test. But the fact that he only mentioned the mounts in the report gives me a way to pass it the second time when I change them.
I can tell you it was a pretty animated conversation :evil:

Anyway changing the motor mounts is the least of my problems. I fear more that he might pull a similar trick on me the second time I have to pass, so I also filled a complaint with the headoffice. As he only mentioned the mounts/connection of the engine to the frame and trans mount, I don't think this will do him any favors either.
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

...motor mounts can be taken out...

Some might need the engine pushed a little sideways, besides up, to clear things, or cut new stud shorter.

Mount/s installed with tension and compression?
Slimy so called rubber oozing out?
Visible active/fresh line between rubber and steel?
Surface weather crack/s that couldn't possibly go all the way through, or just a dick?
good luck
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

What do you mean with installed with tension and compression? I mean, besides mounting them to the block and lowering the block in place what can you do.
As far as the mounts go, I don't see anything specific on them but with the headers the view isn't exactly great.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Swapped mine out on my 77 for one sold and one poly long ago, as mentioned one at a time NP
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Safety inspection guys don't give a s#!+ about anybody's hood, they are concerned about an uncontrollable W.O.T. situation resulting in :shock: ????? Mark H.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Not sure what you mean, but if my mounts were bad I guess I would already have felt a load of issues on the car. But what do I know much.

Anyway, this is not so much about the mounts as more about a discussion about an engine that is not standard...I'll change these that's not my biggest problem, but the problem is that I fear that this will only make him find something else. If you need a stick to hit a dog with, you'll always find one. :roll:

I get so fed up with everything that is happening here in my country and in Europe that I really just want to give up on this hobby and go sit in de sun all day long in my free time. It's not exactly how I work internally but I feel a bit forced by it all :(
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

swampbuggy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:13 pm Safety inspection guys don't give a s#!+ about anybody's hood, they are concerned about an uncontrollable W.O.T. situation resulting in :shock: ????? Mark H.
True, but a 79 vette has a cable throttle. The '60's GM cars are the ones that had the steel rod linkage and would stick the throttle when the driver side mount broke. In GM's infinite wisdom, they put a steel cable on the drivers side to keep the engine from lifting up if the mount broke instead of replacing the mount.

I still say think the guy was just being a prick.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Belgian,

Take stock mm's and drill them for 3/8" bolts and bolt them solid so that you will not have a problem with rip a part mm's again.

My '67 350SS Camaro car had 6-banger rip-a-part mm's under it and this what I did to stop any mm problems.

I just drilled the ripped one's through with a 3/8" hole, countersunk one side for bolt head/block clearance and used 45 degree counter sink head Grade-8 stuff here and NEVER had another mm problem again!

pdq67
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

and torsion - twist
Sorry, really wrong word