Crankcase Evacuation System on Stock Engine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert
Crankcase Evacuation System on Stock Engine

Post by RDY4WAR »

Would the benefits of an exhaust sourced crankcase evacuation system be realized on an OEM stock engine with stock rings/tension/gap? I'm wondering if there would be any benefit at all (even 1 hp), not whether or not it's worth it.

Engine: '93 LT1 350ci stock engine with just bolt-on modifications trying to squeeze every last 0.5 hp without opening up the engine. Dragstrip only.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Crankcase Evacuation System on Stock Engine

Post by engineguyBill »

Crankcase evacuation system will not add any torque/horsepower at all in a stock engine application. Just make sure that your PCV valve is working correctly, that is about all you can do regarding this issue.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

If you are able to draw a depression, the windage and pumping losses will be incrementally lower.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
cardo0

Post by cardo0 »

The exhaust operated CCV system will only be effective at near wide open throttle. You can find a video or 2 on U-Tube that show the results on a street motor. At low rpm and high manifold vacuum you need a PCV valve and carburetor or EFI tuned to match it as the exhaust won't pull enough vacuum at lower exhaust flow. For some reason the big cammed motors with a lot of overlap cause problems for the idle circuit of the carburetor/EFI as the PCV opening rates no longer match what the carb/FI needs.

For a street motor your gonna find your searching for a PCV valve/system to work right with a big cam. Yes your car is now an experiment. Have fun with it. :lol:
74 corvette: 350 4 speed
94 Z28: Gen II 350 auto
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

RDY4WAR wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:54 am ... Dragstrip only.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

RDY4WAR wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:54 am ...
Engine: '93 LT1 350ci stock engine with just bolt-on modifications trying to squeeze every last 0.5 hp without opening up the engine. Dragstrip only.
Do you consider headers a bolt-on modification?

viewtopic.php?t=59218#p836083
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

I'm getting ready to add this to my street car. Have a few customers that say they work great. Can only expect 4-5" @ 12.5 volts. More with more. I'm going to run it through the PVC.

Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

RDY4WAR wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:54 am Would the benefits of an exhaust sourced crankcase evacuation system be realized on an OEM stock engine with stock rings/tension/gap? I'm wondering if there would be any benefit at all (even 1 hp), not whether or not it's worth it.

Are you pushing oil past your seals/gaskets?
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:05 pm I'm getting ready to add this to my street car. Have a few customers that say they work great. Can only expect 4-5" @ 12.5 volts. More with more. I'm going to run it through the PVC.

who makes that unit? looks OEM.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

2006 Taurus, I believe.
DON'T PANIC
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

I've been looking at this one, for Ford Transit vans.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/st ... ump&pos=47
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

how do those vac pumps respond to oil getting spit up into them?
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

bentvalves wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:39 pm how do those vac pumps respond to oil getting spit up into them?
I'd assume not well. I'll use some kind of separator if I wind up installing one.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

They are the same design as a vacuum cleaner motor. A centrifugal blower optimized for generating low inlet pressure rather than high outlet pressure. The only problem oil or any liquid would cause would be down to whatever they use for the shaft seals.
DON'T PANIC
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

RDY4WAR wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:54 am Would the benefits of an exhaust sourced crankcase evacuation system be realized on an OEM stock engine with stock rings/tension/gap? I'm wondering if there would be any benefit at all (even 1 hp), not whether or not it's worth it.

If you have headers, a well integrated vacuum port in the collector, and open pipe without mufflers, I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t pull a vacuum. And if it pulls a vacuum, in principle you can use it to lower the crankcase density and that will improve the engine power a little bit at high rpms. Whether the improvement is large enough to measure is a separate question.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here