Crankcase Evacuation System on Stock Engine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert
Re: Crankcase Evacuation System on Stock Engine

Post by RDY4WAR »

rustbucket79 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:14 pm Everything you listed has potential, and the quick legal stockers have tried everything and have shelves full of parts to prove it. :wink:

With fixed rules, it’s all about a bunch of minute gains throughout the car rather than one or two big gains.
I think I'm going to try keeping the front end down more. I have a lot of front end travel and traction is not a problem even on an unprepped surface. I feel like going to a higher rate front spring or just simply putting limiters on the current suspension may help. I feel like I'm wasting a good bit of energy lifting the front end instead of propelling it forward.

I'm interested in how people get their cars to roll so easily. I've got the lubrication taken care of, but bearings, brakes, and whatever else, I'm a bit lost.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

RDY4WAR wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:12 am I'm interested in how people get their cars to roll so easily. I've got the lubrication taken care of, but bearings, brakes, and whatever else, I'm a bit lost.
A few suggestions. Check and fix the bump steer. Set the front toe closer to zero. Run synthetic grease in the wheel bearings and run them loose (as in back off a flat or two before inserting the cotter pin). The loose wheel bearings will push the caliper piston back in the bore and reduce rolling resistance.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:43 pm
Looks like it would work well for a small 1.6-2.5 liter inline 4 cylinder. Maybe this coupled with header evac plumbed to valve covers would be enough?

There is a guy on the holley efi forums that uses a certain moroso pump but with one of the blades removed. Said it typically lasts about 2 years before having to replace the pumps guts. And that is with a 460 ford.

Also, gz makes some nice kits, but pricey at 750-900 for the setup.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

dannobee wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:49 am A few suggestions. Check and fix the bump steer. Set the front toe closer to zero. Run synthetic grease in the wheel bearings and run them loose (as in back off a flat or two before inserting the cotter pin). The loose wheel bearings will push the caliper piston back in the bore and reduce rolling resistance.
Good info. Thank you. I'll give that a shot. The front tires definitely drag a bit as with the front end jacked up off the ground, the front tires will hardly make 2 rotations when I spin them. In fact, I'm fairly certain the wheel bearings have the same grease from 1993.
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

Won't the power drawn to turn an electric pump negate any gains from the vac it produces?
There is no S on the end of RPM.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

4vpc wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:02 pm Won't the power drawn to turn an electric pump negate any gains from the vac it produces?
Most likely which is why I'm going with the header evac.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

4vpc wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:02 pm Won't the power drawn to turn an electric pump negate any gains from the vac it produces?
How would an electric pump do that where a belt driven pump would not? I know several guys who have had good results with the electric pump made for Cadillac, one dyno test showed around a 50 hp increase with electric pump.

I guess it depends on the pump and the engines needs.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Won't the power drawn to turn a supercharger negate any gains from the boost it produces?
DON'T PANIC
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

GARY C wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:01 pm
How would an electric pump do that where a belt driven pump would not? I know several guys who have had good results with the electric pump made for Cadillac, one dyno test showed around a 50 hp increase with electric pump.

I guess it depends on the pump and the engines needs.
That's why i'm asking, I don't know how much extra power you'll make when it's running to offset what it takes to power it.
There is no S on the end of RPM.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

AIR pump on a 2001 Express van is fused at 30A and only uses 12 gauge wiring.
DON'T PANIC