We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

Roller lifters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Post Reply
408 Nova
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:58 pm
Location: Selmer, TN

Roller lifters

Post by 408 Nova » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:34 pm

Is the main advantage of larger diameter lifters to help with pressure angles and block wear?

Getting a block drilled for the SB2.2 lifter pattern and would really like to know what diameter lifter is best to go with, with the .903" being as big as I would ever go.

And all that being said, what brand lifter is everyone using?

mt-engines
Member
Member
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:35 pm
Location:

Re: Roller lifters

Post by mt-engines » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:23 pm

go .937 with an .850 wheel if you can.

mt-engines
Member
Member
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:35 pm
Location:

Re: Roller lifters

Post by mt-engines » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:25 pm

408 Nova wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:34 pm
Is the main advantage of larger diameter lifters to help with pressure angles and block wear?

Getting a block drilled for the SB2.2 lifter pattern and would really like to know what diameter lifter is best to go with, with the .903" being as big as I would ever go.

And all that being said, what brand lifter is everyone using?
jesel or morel makes nice keyway lifters. crower enduramax are nice, isky redzone etc

User avatar
CamKing
Guru
Guru
Posts: 9572
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: Denver, NC
Contact:

Re: Roller lifters

Post by CamKing » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:27 pm

The main advantage of a larger diameter roller lifter, is the larger diameter wheel that you can fit on it. The larger diameter wheel, produces less side loading on the lifter.
We have plenty of lifter options.
Our .842" and .875" lifters have .750" wheels.
Our .904" lifters have .810" wheels.
Our .937" lifters have ..850" wheels.

Our lifters can be upgraded to bronze bushings, or our steel-on-steel bushingless wheels
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449

bob460
Member
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:19 am
Location:

Re: Roller lifters

Post by bob460 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:20 am

CamKing wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:27 pm
The main advantage of a larger diameter roller lifter, is the larger diameter wheel that you can fit on it. The larger diameter wheel, produces less side loading on the lifter.
We have plenty of lifter options.
Our .842" and .875" lifters have .750" wheels.
Our .904" lifters have .810" wheels.
Our .937" lifters have ..850" wheels.

Our lifters can be upgraded to bronze bushings, or our steel-on-steel bushingless wheels
Mike anyone running your steel on steel lifters on the street?...........if so how many miles.

bob460
Member
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:19 am
Location:

Re: Roller lifters

Post by bob460 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:23 am

mt-engines wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:25 pm
408 Nova wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:34 pm
Is the main advantage of larger diameter lifters to help with pressure angles and block wear?

Getting a block drilled for the SB2.2 lifter pattern and would really like to know what diameter lifter is best to go with, with the .903" being as big as I would ever go.

And all that being said, what brand lifter is everyone using?
jesel or morel makes nice keyway lifters. crower enduramax are nice, isky redzone etc
Bam is also a good lifter!

User avatar
CamKing
Guru
Guru
Posts: 9572
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: Denver, NC
Contact:

Re: Roller lifters

Post by CamKing » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:51 am

bob460 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:20 am

Mike anyone running your steel on steel lifters on the street?...........if so how many miles.
Yes, I have a customer that builds a lot of turbo street engines, and he's been using them for a couple years, I don't know how many miles they're putting on them, but we haven't had any issues.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449

Krooser
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 1690
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:14 pm
Location: Tropical Wisconsin

Re: Roller lifters

Post by Krooser » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:13 pm

Will going to a larger wheel change the cam performance?
Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Member Class of 2019

User avatar
panic
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1960
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: Ecbatana
Contact:

Re: Roller lifters

Post by panic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:47 pm

It will tend to stretch the window at both ends of the duration.

User avatar
CamKing
Guru
Guru
Posts: 9572
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: Denver, NC
Contact:

Re: Roller lifters

Post by CamKing » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:22 pm

Krooser wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:13 pm
Will going to a larger wheel change the cam performance?
There would be a very small change in performance.
Using my 262@.050", .440" lobe lift profile
If you went from a .750" wheel, to a .810" wheel, here's how the durations would change
@ .012": +0.66 degrees
@ .050": +1.22 degrees
@ .100": +1.42 degrees
@ .200": +1.38 degrees
@ .300": +1.05 degrees
@ .400": +0.60 degrees

If you went from a .750" wheel, to a .850" wheel, here's how the durations would change
@ .012": +0.80 degrees
@ .050": +1.79 degrees
@ .100": +2.29 degrees
@ .200": +2.23 degrees
@ .300": +1.69 degrees
@ .400": +0.91 degrees
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449

rebelyell
Member
Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:46 am
Location: SOUTH CAROLINA

Re: Roller lifters

Post by rebelyell » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:55 pm

CamKing wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:27 pm
The main advantage of a larger diameter roller lifter, is the larger diameter wheel that you can fit on it. The larger diameter wheel, produces less side loading on the lifter.
We have plenty of lifter options.
Our .842" and .875" lifters have .750" wheels.
Our .904" lifters have .810" wheels.
Our .937" lifters have ..850" wheels.

Our lifters can be upgraded to bronze bushings, or our steel-on-steel bushingless wheels
Mike
thanks Is it true that OE GM rollers (L31 & LS) have a wheel that's only 0.700" diameter ?

Post Reply