Motor for an Ultima

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

englertracing
Guru
Guru
Re: Motor for an Ultima

Post by englertracing »

turbo camino wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:03 pm By 2005 The Merc F1 V10 was a 90* and, not a coincidence, pretty 'meh'. The previous 72* version though...

90* V4 can sound amazing. And then at the opposite extreme there's the Subaru flat 4s and their "oops a plug wire fell off haha" sound makes me want to hurt someone.
We agree on the subaru
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

How close is an Ultima to an original Ford GT-40 in weight and handling capabilities? What tracks do you race at?
Carlquist Competition Engines
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

englertracing wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:11 pm
turbo camino wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:03 pm By 2005 The Merc F1 V10 was a 90* and, not a coincidence, pretty 'meh'. The previous 72* version though...

90* V4 can sound amazing. And then at the opposite extreme there's the Subaru flat 4s and their "oops a plug wire fell off haha" sound makes me want to hurt someone.
We agree on the subaru
A Volkswagen flat four without the fan.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
j-rho

Post by j-rho »

Agree also on the Subaru thing! :-&
BILL-C wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:22 pm How close is an Ultima to an original Ford GT-40 in weight and handling capabilities? What tracks do you race at?
Wikipedia told me a Mk1 GT40 is 2682. Some Ultimas have been built under 2100lbs., but with the Viper motor, AC, full aero, and some decent heat & sound insulation, suspect mine will be closer to 2400. The suspension is modern, rod-ended double wishbones front and rear, 10" & 13" wide wheels. Will be adding traction control, ABS, electronically-controlled Tractive dampers, power steering, and boosted brakes.

I'm in San Diego so Willow Springs and Buttonwillow are my closest options. The car is largely being built to use in One Lap of America though: https://www.onelapofamerica.com/ - the event that grew from the original Cannonball Run. Its route is a bit different each year, different tracks all over the country.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

BILL-C wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:22 pm How close is an Ultima to an original Ford GT-40 in weight and handling capabilities? What tracks do you race at?
the ultima gtr is an absolute crusher of supercars...
https://youtu.be/CKX2KZruc3E
9 seconds a lap faster than a ford gt...... :shock:
https://youtu.be/tyr5dgTJ6Jo
0-100-0 in 9.4 seconds :shock:
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Kenova wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:08 pm A Volkswagen flat four without the fan.
You'd think, but I've never heard any VW flat 4 with any exhaust configuration that replicates the Subaru's stupid annoying blub-blub-blub sound, unless the VW actually had a dead hole.
DON'T PANIC
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

turbo camino wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:54 pm
Kenova wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:08 pm A Volkswagen flat four without the fan.
You'd think, but I've never heard any VW flat 4 with any exhaust configuration that replicates the Subaru's stupid annoying blub-blub-blub sound, unless the VW actually had a dead hole.
My dad's got an na 2.5l subaru in his baja bug
Its got a 4-1 into a chamber muffler and it doesn't sound as bad as all the wrx cars on the street.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

turbo camino wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:05 pm Question: If you coupled a pair of Subaru engines together, would it sound like TWO plug wires fell off?

Those things just need to not exist anymore.
This guy made a 917 replica with two Subi 6 cylinders mated together. WTF?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/ ... 86967.html
canuc

Post by canuc »

the subaru is just about a tie with a hog with shotgun pipes for worst ex note . haven't kept up with thread lately but from what I remember from first few pages that mercruiser quad cam ls would be hard to beat for desired power curve/durability for least $$$